1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Ampeg SVT7 vs Ampeg Portaflex 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basshack13, Mar 3, 2018.

1. basshack13

basshack13

Mar 3, 2018
    Bass brothers. I am looking for some insite on these amps. I am an Ampeg guy and looking to lighten up the load a bit. I play various styles, mostly rock, loud at that. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Bassmann79

Bassmann79

Mar 7, 2015
    I cannot say enough about the PF-800 in particular. I have now sold my SVT cabinet and am currently likely selling my HSVT-CL as well. The Portaflex is simply incredible and I was reminded of it yet again at practice last night. This is my 2nd practice no longer using my SVT stuff

Could you honestly tell if this was an SVT or Portaflex?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    SirMjac28 and basshack13 like this.
  3. Not to denigrate any other Ampeg but never sell an SVT, I've been lugging for over 40 years, in fact I brought one out here to Lima on the plane. suck it up!:laugh:
    Woops, never mind didn't see that little 7 before I posted.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    7 Pro sounds better to me, but the 800 is easier to tote because I can throw it in a laptop bag vs a rack for the 7 Pro, and sounds quite good as well.

basshack13, Bassmann79 and Ryan L. like this.
  5. Bassmann79

Bassmann79

Mar 7, 2015
    Which is what the OP is looking for, a lighter experience while maintaining the Ampeg sound and to me that means Portaflex!

I am going into the studio next weekend and this will be my first time going in without an SVT. I am using the Portaflex there as well. I still have my HSVT-CL but no cabinet but I don't think I am going to waste time trying to find a cab just for a day in the studio.

basshack13 likes this.
  6. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Cabs are important too IMHO, in fact, there's more difference in cabs than in heads IME.
    Just this example of a band rehearsal:
    A PF350 with two SVT210AV cabs sounds better than an Ampeg 3 Pro head with a Markbass 410 cab.
    And it's the rest of the band that said "wow, so that's how a bass is supposed to sound...".
    And the MB cab is a good cab. (just not my cup of tea entirely)

But, to cut a long story short, either head will sound great, make sure that you use the right cab with it.

IME, IMHO, YMMV.

jeff7bass, Band Mom, Came12on and 2 others like this.
  7. basshack13

basshack13

Mar 3, 2018

Sounds Killer!

8. I own both. Rehearse with the SVT7, gig with the PF800. Because it is lighter and I can toss it in a gig bag and tote it along. Both sound like Ampegs.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I sort of do the same thing, except my 7 Pro stays in our drummer's storage unit for when we have gigs that require traveling with a trailer or lots of handling by a crew. I hate moving it around...our drummer said he had a rack for it, and it's this giant padded monstrosity that's way overkill. But dang, that's a sweet sounding micro amp.

10. My SVT7 is in a rack with a rack mount tuner and Furman. For instances I want more power or the ease of an all in one kinda setup, I'll lug it around. For our gigs, we have a box truck that carries most of our gear, but in a gig bag I can toss the PF in the back seat of my car with my bass and I know both will survive the night without damage. Assuming the drummer stays away! That guy can look at something and damage it! Just ask my Thunderbird.

JimmyM likes this.
  11. Bassmann79

Bassmann79

Mar 7, 2015
    This is live off the studio floor from Saturday, did I use my SVT or Portaflex? This was a rough mix to give us something to listen to while the producer puts more time into it over the next few days. My bass is a bit low but can you tell what I used?

Actually, this one seemed to have a slightly better mix from Saturday off the floor

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    johnpbass likes this.
  12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    What sounds better to you about the 7Pro over the PF?
    The weight/size difference are not that big of a deal to me.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The tone sounds a little richer to me. Both sound excellent, but the 7 Pro has a tube circuit that actually does something :D

lo-freq, tombowlus and Greg P Schmidt like this.
  14. Yeah, I'd say the SVT7 is a little richer sounding, but I use that in a practice room and not a bar/outdoors/events like I do the PF800. So, it's not a true A/B comparison.

15. Band Mom

Band Mom Not Actually a Mom

Oct 2, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Similar question: I'm a recent Ampeg convert after recently purchasing an Ampeg V4B. I do plan on using that amp as my primary amp for my band, both for gigging and practice, though now I'm looking at backup amps for home and a potential secondary project, and can't make my mind up between the Portaflex and SVT Pro series.

Oddly, I think I've narrowed down my choices to the PF350 and SVT7Pro. On paper, I see it as ultimate portability vs less potential compromise in tone. They do have a 7Pro and PF500 at my local shop, but I'm curious how much the PF350 might differ in tone from the PF500. I've seen some posts from Jimmy stating that he feels like the PF350 is more similar to the Micro VR, which I've also never played. The main reason I'm not considering the PF500 is because I didn't find the size difference between it and the 7Pro so egregiously different that the portability benefit was that much greater than the 7Pro, so I'm looking at its smaller brother.

Thoughts?

16. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    They all have the signature Ampeg sound, only in a different way.
    Any choice will be a good one.
    What is most important to you?
    - weight
    - size
    - price
    - features (less is more, or, the more the merrier)
    - tube preamp vs solid state

Band Mom likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, the PF350 and Micro VR have the same preamp. Which does you no good to know if you haven't heard either :D Anyway, you've pretty much got it in practice as you describe on paper. The 7 Pro definitely sounds better and has a more versatile preamp. On the other hand, the PF350 is not a slouch, it's their smallest head, and I can get my favorite tones out of it as easily as the 7 Pro.

High Camp likes this.
  18. Here's a thought..For practice at home, I use a SCR-DI with an MP3 player and headphones. Take up no space and I can practice anywhere in the house.

basscapes and Band Mom like this.
  19. Band Mom

Band Mom Not Actually a Mom

Oct 2, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I guess my question would be "Does the 350 sound remarkably different than the 500?" I liked both amps that I played, definitely noticed an improvement with the Pro 7, and the PF500 didn't seem small enough to justify the downgrade in tone. But I could envision going with a smaller version of the PF500 as something inherently more portable. I don't think that the 7 Pro is huge or anything, but hey, one less big thing to carry around.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Different? Well the controls will end up in different positions to get similar tones. Remarkably different? No. You might like the voicing of one over the other, you might find one easier to operate over the other, you might like having 5 different mid centers to choose from over a fixed mid at 500...but then again you may not. I know of people who switched from the PF500 to the PF350 because they liked the voicing and simpler controls better, and I know people who consider the 500 better. I do think the 7 Pro sounds better enough to recommend it over the PF amps if it's going to be a primary amp, but for what you want, I think the 350 could work just fine for you. But again, I'm not you, and I can't presume to know what you'd like better.

Band Mom likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021