Ampeg SVT7PRO with SVT15E ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gosser, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Gosser

Gosser

Nov 8, 2011
    First post + gear newb = please be gentle :D

SVT7PRO
    RMS power output:
    1000 watts @ 4 ohms
    600 watts @ 8 ohms

SVT15E
    RMS power handling: 200 watts
    Nominal impedance: 8 ohms

Is it alright to connect the SVT7PRO to an SVT15E? The watts lead me to think "No" but the ohms confuse me.

Also, does the amp switch between watts/ohms depending on what cab(s) are connected?

I would only use this setup for venues with a house PA. I have an SVT810E for full band practice, non-PA shows and when my bandmates are willing to help me move it!

Thanks in advance for all replies.

2. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Sure if you are very careful with the volume and listen to the speakers. You should know when you're pushing them too much.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Yes, the amp switches itself to the correct impedance depending on the speakers you use. And Cableguy's advice is spot on...you just can't run it slamming the cab really hard, and it should be fine.

4. Gosser

Gosser

Nov 8, 2011
    Awesome, thanks guys!

As I wrote, I'll only be using the SVT15E at venues with a PA. I'm a mostly stationary player in front of my rig and wear earplugs 99% of the time...hearing protection with the bonus of boosting the low end, so I shouldn't have to crank it.

5. +1

As long as you use only cabs adding to a total of 4 ohms. 2 x 8 ohm cabs = 4 ohms.
    I use my 7 Pro into a 300w 8 ohm 1x12" often, sounds great(even tho it's rated at 300w, I'd be surprised if it handled as much as your '200w' Ampeg 15").
    Don't turn amp up tomuch & Just listen. If it sounds like your speaker is at its limits (farting), turn down.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021