1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg svt7pro won't turn on

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maruct85, Jul 1, 2012.

1. maruct85

maruct85

Mar 5, 2012
    El Salvador
    Hi guys quick help. Ive had My Ampeg SVT7pro for about two months now and never had a problem with it. In fact i was fascinated with its sound and never pushed it too far. I paired it up with an ampeg pro neo 2x10 and it was amazing until yesterday.
    We were playing a three set gig, and when i got on stage for the third set it wouldn't turn on. No LEDs, not the fan, nothing. The voltage is always set where its supposed to i have no idea if the place had a different voltage or something. Still ive played there before with no problem at all.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Has the fuse blown or is there serious damage? Any info would help! Dying here!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fuse sounds like a possibility. But if it blows again, I'd call Ampeg and see if they can help.

3. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    With the amp UNPLUGGED, check the fuse/breakers. Also, if the amp has a sliding switch for voltage, slide it over to 220v then back to 110v a couple of times. Sometimes the switch can get corroded. It's unlikely it moved by itself, but you never know. Check it all. Make sure you set the voltage selector back to 110 before plugging back in!

If that doesn't fix it, call Ampeg.

4. +1 to the all the above. And check the AC outlet, power cord and fuse - use a multi-meter to test the fuse.

5. maruct85

maruct85

Mar 5, 2012
    El Salvador
    Thanks, will do. Hope its just the fuse and no damage came to the actual amp.

6. Zonked

Zonked

Jul 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    This is the exact same thing that happened to me with the SVT-7 Pro Rev C00 after about a month and a half. I contacted Ampeg customer service, explained what happend and they sent me a new unit. They shipped a new unit to me and instructed me to send back the old unit in the new box. I had to use antother amp for a bit, but overall it was a good response time and I soon had my new unit. Seeing as you are in Central America, I don't know how they will deal with that or how long it will take. Good luck.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I'm sure you've checked the basics.
    It's under warranty. Take it in and get them the confirm you have the latest revisions.
    If it is not, then Insist it be upgraded.

8. Me too - and if not here is a quick link http://www.loudtechinc.com/contact/index.html plus there are official Ampeg/Loud Tech spokesmen here on TB that may be able to help - so don’t worry.

9. My first thought was that you are using a very small cabinet. I use the 2x10 format but I'd never even think about just using one, always a pair for me.

Did you try turning the amp on without a cabinet attached?? Do the battery test on the cabinet to ensure it's working.

10. there are amps out there that seem to have reliability issues,the svt 7 pro is one of them. a guy in my band tried one out that would not work. I play another amp that seems to have never ending issues,a carvin bx500. Although i've never had a problem with it,it makes me nervous not to have a backup when using it. I would feel the same way about the 7pro. I know all amps can have issues but some seem to have more than others.

11. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    Indeed. Way to many threads with this amp failing on people.
    I would take it back and get a reliable brand like Genz

12. But some people like the tone of Ampeg and their control layout. I've owned a Shuttlemax 12 and GBE750 before and they are great amps if that's the tone you're after. But, just like Ampeg can't do Genz neither can Genz do Ampeg.

3 years ago my GBE-750 had an issue where the amp shut down at several rehearsals. Rather than risk it at a gig I opted to send it back since it was within the 30-day return policy.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's definitive.

:D

I know lots of people who have 7 Pros and have had no trouble whatsoever.

14. I'd love to know what the real story is with with this amp.

Remember that the unit that BGM tested and reviewed was sent to them after the first one failed. The replacement rated at 750(?) watts. My theory is that the 1000 watts could be a bit 'overclocked'. ie. most units will work fine pushed at 1000 (or so) watts but with a bit of tweaking will comfortably push 750. I'm thinking they might have sent BGM one they could guarantee would not fail.

If there's a Loud tech out there who would like to set the record straight please do so.

15. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    and that's definitive ? :D

there has been something of a rash of threads here on TB describing various issues with this amp. TB does not represent all bass players, but it is a solid sample of bass players who care enough to come here and report issues and seek support and resolutions to amp issues, so I would not be so dismissive (but that may be asking too much of you).

I have no dog in this hunt at all, so I am going to refrain from any other posts on this topic.

good luck the OP, and any others who are having issues with their 7Pros.

16. I've heard of lots of people that have on tb,just seems like there are issues with this head or is it just my imagination? I've never had an issue with my bx500 but enough have that i keep backup. I gig my lmiii and feel no need for backup. some amps you have confidence in and some you dont.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I want one of those handmade Bass NeverFail MCC900s with the McIntosh tube emulation. Great for Piobaireachd/Ceòl Mór, or Ud. I hear they have a semi-transferable warranty—within extended consanguine limit—but hey, it's a NeverFail, so who's worried? ;) ;) ;)

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    ...and THAT is definitive, too.

19. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    I wish ampeg would clear this up too. Two people from ampeg that I know of post on this forum, but this issue has never been addressed afaik.
    A couple of other people did do their own tests and it almost got to 1k if you plugged into the effects return(direct to power amp), so it is something in the pre section that is holding it back.
    And who is going to to buy this amp for a power amp?

20. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Some of you may remember that GK had huge issues when they enered the micro market but were VERY active in getting new revisions out as well as Mr. G addressing ALL threads here on TB. Same thing with Mesa making quick repairs to the M9.

Not that I'm expecting any manufacturer to waste time here, but would think that a new revision should be developed by now in that the latest Rev also has problems.
    It's really too bad that this is happening as so many like this amp.
    It can't help Ampeg with good will or customer confidence.
    Maybe they could make some sort of formal anouncement reagrding the percentage of amp failures as well as their plan to make things right for waranty holders.