1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ampeg svt810 paired with svt215e or 118e?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NateRising, Apr 8, 2009.

1. NateRising

NateRising

Sep 2, 2008
    I'm thinking of pairing my ampeg 810 with either a svt215e or a single 18e with an extra 410 or single 15. i'm trying to boost my low ends and the 810 by itself isnt giving me what i want. i run an ampeg b2r-e head. does anyone have any suggestions on which setup would be better? would my head be able to handle either of these setups?

thanks for the help!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I don't think so. Isn't that head 4 ohms minimum? And, the 810 has plenty of lowend, anyway. But no, I don't think you could add another cab of any size. Why not consider another head, instead of new cabs?

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You playin' stadiums? Why in the world would you need more than an 810? Your head is the problem, not the cab. B2's are notoriously underpowered.

4. Here's what ya do: Get an SVT-CL and 215E. Stand the 215 and 810 next to each other, and have the most bada** looking and sounding rig EVER.

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The B-2RE head is only putting 450 watts max into the 810e. The 810e does not have a lot of low end below 60hz, but for stage purposes, you don't need to add another cab. The sound of an 810e on stage will be plenty loud and adding extra low end is not going to help you hear yourself better. The only thing you will accomplish is getting the tone you want, while most likely angering the sound man because the 118 will spread low end everywhere on stage. let the PA system do the low end. You cannot add another cab to your setup because the entire 810e is 4 ohms and the SVT 118e is a 4 ohm cab - 2 ohm loads are a no-go on the B2RE.

I suggest looking at a bigger head before doing anything else. Try it through the 810e and see if you get more of what you want. If not, I suggest getting a different cab.

6. NateRising

NateRising

Sep 2, 2008
    thanks for the input, its really helpful. besides the svt-cl, what other higher power head would you guys suggest? i perfer something thats a rackmount.

7. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I use a couple SVT-4PRO's and run both 810's and 215's. The 810's have a lot more PUNCH / Volume, the 215 has a bit more low end. If you look at the AMPEG specs whatever they are worth, the 810's are rated bottom end at 58Hz and the 215 to 40...

The 4PRO is still not enough power to fully drive an 810 and a 215. They will power one a lot better than what you are doing. You may find just the change to a 4PRO or 2PRO tube unit will give you enough punch to cut through even with the 810.

I know what I'm talking about here.

B2 or not 2B that is the question. Trade her in.

BOB

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you go for another head, (you should), there's alot of options. 4Pro is one, there's plenty more. I use a 6Pro with a 215, playing against a Mesa Recto 412 and other 100 watt tube guitar amps, no problem. There's also Mesa, a Titan would kick serious ass, or even a GK 1001 RB, again, seriously powerful and loud. Time to go shopping, enjoy yourself.

9. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i have the same rig right now, and a thread 56 replies deep into finding out why it isn't loud enough. but yes, badass it looks.

10. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    How does a vintage SVT head through a vintage SVT810 AND a SVT215E sound?
    I saw a 215 for cheap and I wonder how it would sound, my vintage cab is 200 watt only and the speakers are working pretty hard.

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I don't think it would work even if your head was powerful enough as each cab requires different eq.

12. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    I know what you mean, it makes sence but I'm curious to hear from people who tried it.
    Maybe the 215 would complement the 810...?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's engineering by looks. The 810 will be much louder and you open yourself to the possibility of phasing issues. Now if you used a second head for the 215, you could get different EQ's and volumes and maybe figure out complimentary tones, but into the same head I predict nothing but dissatisfaction.

14. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    That's what I fear too, a second 810 would probably fit the bill better. That 215 was 300$ though, pretty cheap but not worth it if it sucks.

Thanks

15. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    I just thought about something.
    Lots of people seem to like a 4x10 with 1x15 combo. Wouldn't a 8x10 and 2x15 be the same but twice the size?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yes it would, but I think those types of rigs don't work very well either for the same reasons.

17. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    I never heard one myself unfortunately. Did you ever heard an SVT with 2 810? If so, did you like it?

18. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Matching 10s and 15s used to be the way to go. I used to run a 410HE with an EV 18 in a separate cab, powered by an SVT-CL. Holy sweet mother of god, was that the rig. It was a strange set of circumstances though, and the planets REALLY aligned to make that rig more than the sum of it's parts.

I ended up ditching that rig piece by piece in favor of lighter, more efficient parts. My 810 levels entire rooms when paired with my GK 1001RBII. It's not even one of the good ones! It's one of the boomy, bass heavy LOUD cabs. If you ain't loud enough with the 810e, you need to push more watts through it.

Long story short, ditch that head.

19. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    << i'm trying to boost my low ends and the 810 by itself isnt giving me what i want.>>

Then you havent set up the Amp correctly. I ran my SVT CL through an 8-10, and the sound was monstrous !

That 8-10 moves massive air. Then, so does the Traynor 8-10, at 500 bucks LESS than the Ampeg Cab.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I certainly have, and I certainly did like it! It's way more rig than I'd ever need, but it sounds massive.