Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVTii + 810 on ebay (australian users)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jow83, Jun 14, 2005.

1. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
  2. ...And Why not?

I'd love that rig, but I just confirmed a deal a Gallien Krueger 800RB that I am paying for in the next day or so. That means I'm out.

I'm pretty sure this one come up on ebay not long ago- the pictures look the same, as does the location; It went for pretty cheap if I remeber coorectly, I kicked myself for not bidding on it. :meh: If thats what your after Joe, I'd go for it- the SVT II heads are like a modern all tube equivilent of a SVT CL. Not someting you see every day on Ebay.Au

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You should pick up that II and just sell the 810...

4. You guys are so lucky that you have the option of buying cool second-hand stuff like this. I would kill for an SVT-II, but I don't know of a single person in South Africa who has one, and most wouldn't even know what it is. I'm not sure exactly where you all live but, I wouldn't even hesitate with putting in a bid for this beauty!

5. Believe me when we say we kind of feel your pain Passengergreg,

Bass Gear in Australia is massively over priced- probably a little lower than that in South Africa- but still very high. An Ampeg SVT 2 new retails for about $5000 AUD, and an 8x10 Cabinet, god knows how much. Good used gear comes along sometimes, but not often!

6. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm just not ampeg fan :bag: if it gets down to the last minute i could always make a bid and then sell parts seperatly or keep 810 tho :ninja:

7. Hey guys you won't believe it, but a new Yamaha shop has just opened up in Durban, and they are bringing in Ampeg stuff! I cannot believe it. I went to check the place out yesterday afternoon. They mainley had small combo amps, coz that's pretty much all that South African folk can afford, but I managed to find one SVT III Pro, man it was a beauty! I asked them about whether they were gonna be bringing in the SVT-II Pro, and they said they hopefully were, yes! The SVT-III is retailing at about R9500, and the SVT-II at R17500. I can honestly say that I don't lnow of a single person who has ever spent over about R6000 for a bass amp ( except for myself .) One question I wanted to ask you guys is what it would sound like if you connected an SVT-II Pro to a JB Systems( not sure if you guys have heard of that make ) 2 X 15 700 watt cabinet meant for a P.A system. The wattage and impedance would almost match up, but I am just a bit worried that the cabinet wouldn't be tuned for bass. Am I being silly ?

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    As long as the impedances match close enough, it will work. However, it will not give you the tonal qualities of a bass cab and will most likely not sound as good. Also, I don't think it would get as loud as a bass cab.

9. That's cool. At the moment I have an Ashdown Mag C410-300 combo, as well as a second Mag-115 deep cab. I also use an ADA-MP1 midi tube pre-amp, which gives some 'twang' My bass is an Ibanez Soundgear five string. We play most of our songs in drop B, and at relatively high volumes, the amp just 'woggs out' I have quite a bit of stuff to sell, and would possibly be able to get the SVT-II. We don't really have big enough venue's to use an 8X10 or anything, so if using the JB Systems cabinet would mean that I could play rather loud with no farting when I hit that top string, then that would be ideal for me.

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just be wary of the 3-Pro, you might find it doesn't have all that readroom your wanting, after all..

11. I'm talking about the 2-pro dude