Ampeg SVTIIp vs Ampeg SVP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Has anyone heard these two amps? I was thinking if the SVTIIp is the same thing, but an older model, I may be able to pick one up at a better price than the SVP I am looking at.
  2. If by SVTIIp you mean SVT-IIPRO, the 300 watt tube amp, then yes. But I believe an SVP is strictly a tube preamp.

I found the IIpro to be a nice amp with plenty of oomph and versatilty. But lacked the bite and mid-rangey growl I had hoped for. It's heavy and unwieldy outside of a rackmount.

Don't know much about the SVP.

Lastly, I've never seen a IIPro sell for less than $500 (usually more like $700-$900). The SVP preamp probably sells for a few hundred at the most so I doubt they're the same thing.
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks for your reply. :) But I am actually comparing two preamps. One is called a IIp, and the other SVP. I guess the IIp might have had a short production life.
  4. I see. In that case I'd definitely check into the older one before going with the newer one. IME, with Ampeg the older the better. Let us know.
  5. You are correct: the SVT-IIP is the older (early 90's) version of the SVP-Pro.

The SVT-IIP has three 12ax7 tubes a 6 band Graphic Equalizer where the SVP-pro has 5 tubes (4 12ax7 + 1 driver tube 12au7) and a 9 band Graphic Eq. The SVP-Pro also has a gain and a drive control and a Mute switch.

If I'm not mistaking the SVT-IIP is exact the same preamp as the one in the SVT-II and the SVP-Pro is the same preamp as the one in the SVT-II Pro.

I own the SVT-IIP preamp, I run it with an Ampeg solid state poweramp and it sounds pretty amazing to me!! I only wish I could get my hands on an all tube poweramp!

BTW: I saw your other thread about running it with a Hartke 7000. I used to run my SVT-IIP with a Hartke 5000... It was LOUD (!!!) but it sounded not as good as I hoped it would. After I got the Ampeg Poweramp I believe it all sounded a lot better. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!
  6. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I've never heard the older IIp, but I really dig the SVP. Great sound, intuitive layout, versatile EQ...all I would like in a preamp.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have an SVP-PRO, SVT-IIP & an SVP-BSP. I used the BSP once or twice & I didn't like the distortion channel. I have to give it a better chance but I might sell it.

I have the SVT-IIP & I use it thru a SoundTech PS-802 & it's really nice but I like the SVP-PRO the best. I use that with an SVP-1500 power amp.

If the price of the IIP is that much better then the SVP, I'd get the less expensive one but again, I'd go with the SVP-PRO.

I'm @ work roight now so I can't get all technical. Sorry. :)
  8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i think you are reffering to my thread ;)

i have played both and i like the svp pro better. it's a little more versatile tonally if you ask me... i demo'ed it through a hartke 350 with the eq bypassed and it did spice things up the way i liked! the hartke's pre is not that bad but it tends to sound a littel harsh at times... the svp was much more accomodating... :D