Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVTIIp vs Ampeg SVP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Has anyone heard these two amps? I was thinking if the SVTIIp is the same thing, but an older model, I may be able to pick one up at a better price than the SVP I am looking at.

2. If by SVTIIp you mean SVT-IIPRO, the 300 watt tube amp, then yes. But I believe an SVP is strictly a tube preamp.

I found the IIpro to be a nice amp with plenty of oomph and versatilty. But lacked the bite and mid-rangey growl I had hoped for. It's heavy and unwieldy outside of a rackmount.

Don't know much about the SVP.

Lastly, I've never seen a IIPro sell for less than $500 (usually more like $700-$900). The SVP preamp probably sells for a few hundred at the most so I doubt they're the same thing.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks for your reply. :) But I am actually comparing two preamps. One is called a IIp, and the other SVP. I guess the IIp might have had a short production life.

4. I see. In that case I'd definitely check into the older one before going with the newer one. IME, with Ampeg the older the better. Let us know.

5. You are correct: the SVT-IIP is the older (early 90's) version of the SVP-Pro.

The SVT-IIP has three 12ax7 tubes a 6 band Graphic Equalizer where the SVP-pro has 5 tubes (4 12ax7 + 1 driver tube 12au7) and a 9 band Graphic Eq. The SVP-Pro also has a gain and a drive control and a Mute switch.

If I'm not mistaking the SVT-IIP is exact the same preamp as the one in the SVT-II and the SVP-Pro is the same preamp as the one in the SVT-II Pro.

I own the SVT-IIP preamp, I run it with an Ampeg solid state poweramp and it sounds pretty amazing to me!! I only wish I could get my hands on an all tube poweramp!

BTW: I saw your other thread about running it with a Hartke 7000. I used to run my SVT-IIP with a Hartke 5000... It was LOUD (!!!) but it sounded not as good as I hoped it would. After I got the Ampeg Poweramp I believe it all sounded a lot better. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I've never heard the older IIp, but I really dig the SVP. Great sound, intuitive layout, versatile EQ...all I would like in a preamp.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have an SVP-PRO, SVT-IIP & an SVP-BSP. I used the BSP once or twice & I didn't like the distortion channel. I have to give it a better chance but I might sell it.

I have the SVT-IIP & I use it thru a SoundTech PS-802 & it's really nice but I like the SVP-PRO the best. I use that with an SVP-1500 power amp.

If the price of the IIP is that much better then the SVP, I'd get the less expensive one but again, I'd go with the SVP-PRO.

I'm @ work roight now so I can't get all technical. Sorry. :)

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i think you are reffering to my thread ;)

i have played both and i like the svp pro better. it's a little more versatile tonally if you ask me... i demo'ed it through a hartke 350 with the eq bypassed and it did spice things up the way i liked! the hartke's pre is not that bad but it tends to sound a littel harsh at times... the svp was much more accomodating... :D