Ampeg SVT's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brake, Aug 26, 2003.

1. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Which of 'em should I avoid and which are the good ones?
  2. 1969 to 1979 are the best. The Ampeg Company on Linden, New Jersey. (1969 to 1971). The Selmer Co. and Magnavox (1972 to 1979). Also the MTI svt's aren't bad (1980 to 1981) and the only St. Louis Music SVT worth mentioning is the "skunk works" SVT around 1986. All of these are two channel amps with two inputs per channel.
  3. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i always hear that old svt's are better but no one ever wants to say why that is. what tonally is better about an old ampeg? please be as discriptive as possible because i'm really interested.
  4. They're much louder than the newer ones, the tone is thicker without being muddy, and there is a vibe that you get in responsiveness that cannot be described and MUST be felt. I've got three old ones with coffin 8x10 cabs. Tried a Skunkworks SVT for the first time today and it's really close to the old vibe. It's a little brighter and not as loud, but much closer than an SVT CL. Out of the thirty of so SVT CL's I've tried, only ONE sounded really good and even it's tone wasn't the same as an old SVT.
  5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You'll know the good ones, because they'll be unobtainable or too expensive. The crappy ones will fall into your lap. (Sorry, poor metaphor - that would hurt.)