Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVX - what's that exactly?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Mar 28, 2005.

1. I have seen this on one of my home country`s best online stores for amps, effects, guitars + basses and so on...

Softsynth Ampeg SVX.
    The discribtion (which is in german, sorry) coundn't really help me.
    so maybe one of you know what exactly this thing is or can do.

is it an amp or just recording stuff or effects... ???

i'm comfused, hehe

greets

ah the link::

http://www.musik-produktiv.at/shop2/shop04.asp?artnr=100019628&sid=!18121995&quelle=volltext

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    It sounds like its an effect plug in for some software package that makes it sound like an SVT.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    That is actually a product of the IK MultiMedia folks, it is not ours. We have some form of an agreement with them, but we didn't do the development, nor do we sell the product.

In other words, I don't know much about it either.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
  5. Just been on the IK website watching the vid of some guy shredding all over his SVX plugin- to be honest i'm not sold on it- I want some proper soundclips instead of a guy showing off his chops!

There's no way a computer can sound like an ampeg anyway...

6. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    That guy showing off his chops is the "Budda of Bass" Bill Dickens. He is know to be one of the fastest multi-string bassists in the world and is a great session player for many top artists.

As for the SVX, I think it is cool if you are using it in a recording where you can simulate that Ampeg sound without having one. This would be good with a VST effects processor for live sound as well.

7. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Here's a rough translation from freetranslations.com:

Ampeg SVX is the very first bass Amp and effects plug-in on the market, that together with Ampeg, that historic and leading bass Amplification sign was developed. With 20 basses Amp combinations and numerous bass effects Ampeg SVX becomes the type and manner how bass is included in the studio, perfectly revolutionize. This product is separate thought not only of basses at all makers and musician with interest best bass sound.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's software. Compare it to Amplitude 2 for guitarist. AmpegSvx will model several Ampeg amps and effects.

http://www.ampegsvx.com/

As a plugin it works with programs like Cubase, Sonar, Soundforge, but you can setup a PC to use it like you would any preamp.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71956
    "We brought the Ampeg plug-in over to the Ampeg booth and their sales staff was blown away. They A/Bd it with the real thing and said they couldn't believe there was no difference...."

If you're not good with PC's, then combine a Muse Receptor and AmpegSvx and you got a killer bass preamp. And you can share the Receptor with the rest of the band.

There's also plenty of other plugins for other amp/cab modeling. And of course every effect you can think of.

9. I agree the SVX may be a good recording tool, if only for convenience (I still record my bass through an old v1 Pod so I can't really disagree there).

Hadn't though of using the SVX as a preamp, that might actually work.

SVX (on laptop or receptor) -> Proper Power Amp -> Bass Cab

Then again, there are loads of hardware amp modellers for less money that i think would be better for live usage...