1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPEG - The story behind the sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jvdb, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jvdb

jvdb

Jul 26, 2006
    bachlover likes this.
  2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I got a copy a few years back, and it's good. It's quite popular here as the reference book among Ampeg fans. I guess I'm hoping that Ampeg finds a way to rebound from it's current troubles so that it's more than colorful history sees a brighter future. I know I'd love to see at least the venerable SVT line come back to U.S. production :crying:, just because, but things are what they are. Who knows maybe this book will see a new and updated version down the road, where all Ampeg fans are happy again, and the brand is stronger than ever with some great and innovative products to boot. I hope the story turns out that way. Thanks for your post.

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    That looks awesome!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Great book but badly in need of an update.

5. I'm about 3/4 way through this book and I'm loving it. There is so much history that I was unaware of. I agree that they should update it. There would probably be references from Jimmy in there. "per JimmyM of Talkbass the SLM 810s.... yada yada...". haha :)

dune2k likes this.
  6. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I asked in the Jess Oliver thread if anyone knew when Ken Fischer of Trainwreck worked their.
    We know he left around '67 but I wonder when he began and in what capacity.

7. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    It is in need of an update, but what would you do to it? Mention all the stuff that's been made under the LOUD regime? I know they've come out with some good products, but wouldn't most of it be a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, being that most of the problems they've had lately are products that have come from VietNam or China? Yes they've had some problems with their USA product. but nowhere near the problems from overseas.

8. Ken began around 1964. It really doesn't say much about where he came from other than he was not a musician like most of the other innovators at Ampeg. He was a grad of the RCA audio training program. The same place Jess Oliver was trained.

9. I agree that it would have been nice to keep production in the US but it's all part of the story good or bad. In 20 years it will be part of the history wether we like it or not. One of the parts I found interesting in the book is how the company has constantly struggled. I would have never guessed that one of the most recognizable names is bass guitar history would have almost gone belly up several times over the years. In terms of the story, the LOUD era is an unusual twist.

10. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I know I'm probably dreaming, but my '64 Reverberocket, while factory original, was an R12R-M, with a rare 7868 power section configuration, for more power than the more common 7591 versions and a much more aggressive 12AX7 pre section.
    Everett would have hated my amp, but gee if Ken had any part in the mods that would sure be a trip.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  11. 1. Dude! That's friggen awesome.
    2. That's a very plausible theory. It also said in the book that Ken actually proposed a 2 channel amp that would provide clean and over drive channels and Hull shot it down. I'm sure he was always tinkering with stuff on the side. From what I understand, it had to have been him or or only a couple of other guys. Thanks for sharing.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1

13. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    The amp is also super touch sensitive and goes into breakup easy with a hard attack, so I can't help but wonder.