Ampeg to Acoustic!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fuzzy beard, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Well i bought my first tube amp a few weeks ago Ampeg sb12. And even though she needs work i LOVE her! So then today i was strolling through sam ash looking for a new bass and bumped into something i had never seen before!

Acoustic g60t head. Now before you start yelling at me that it is a guitar amp i know. But i have always been a little different and this amp fits that persona! So i bought it!

Played it through a fender bassman 115 at the store and the a Hartke 410. Sounded great! Fat and tubby! Its in good shape missing one knob, One stripped handle screw, and a few rough spots in the BROWN tolex. It does have a new 3 prong cable and what looks like all new sovtek tubes2=6l6 power tubes and 3 12ax7 pre amp tubes and a ss rec.

So pics to come soon! But what do you know about it? Ever seen one? PLayed one? Thoughts, comments, and opionens?

2. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Lets see it!
    I know very little about Acoustic stuff (with exception of the GC/Acoustic stuff thats made in Indowhere-ever). IMO-If it sounds good, chances are it is good.

3. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    i never knew acoustic made tube amps.... even guitar

4. I wonder who the jimmy M of acoustic is on this site?LOL

5. Those are all groovy rigs.
    Enjoy.

S

6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I vote Johnk_10 :)

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i had the combo version of that amp with an EV12L in it for years. the design wasn't super reliable but it always sounded pretty good.

8. Hmm he knows a awfull lot about ampeg to!!

Well he got here before i could finsh!

9. What kind of design problems are you talking about?

10. bottomend!

bottomend! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    The Jimmy M of Acoustic in regards to the brown amps, lives in the Czeck Republic and his name is Pirk and he doesn't visit TB because he's a guitarist. You can find him over at the Acoustic forum. He's probably the biggest collector of these amps on the planet FWIW.

These heads can be very very finicky so dont get too attached. You should also try to find a good tech who can go through the head and then keep his number close by. My experience with these has been that when they are running they sound really good... but they like to eat their own young and it's hard to get them to remain consistent over any length of time.

The solid state Acoustic amps OTOH are amazing whether it's the guitar amps or (obviously) the bass amps. There are a few jimmy m's lurking around this board but you're better off posting at the Acoustic forum overall.

Get your hands on an old SS Acoustic that has been loved and believe me you will have your head spun around backwards.
    unofficial acoustic control corp forum Forums

11. Talk about a post to nock the wind out of a mans sails.LOL So what would you say a head like this is worth? Also thanks for all the good info so far!

12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i had two of them. one that i had ran pretty hot and, IIRC had a few parts in it that were unobtanium. the other one always worked well though. i used to work in a music shop in the early 80's, and we sold them brand new too.

GuitarTubeHead160 < Acoustic < Wiki

GuitarTubeCombo164and165 < Acoustic < Wiki

13. So is it one of those if it made it this long your should be fine?

14. Umm thats not the amp i have?

15. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, i know. they made a few versions of it. it started out as basically a boogie clone (until boogie sued them), and they subsequently changed it several times. they all had more than their share of reliability problems though since we got alot of returns on them when we sold them new.

16. How much would you say it is worth? Kinda feel that i should get out of it! Going now to see what sam ash return policie is!!

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I worked for a big Acoustic dealer in Seattle in the mid 80's. We had a large pile of returned ones, all with lifetime warranties and various problems. My boss was content to buy or trade back for them and let 'em sit for a few years rather then continue to honor the warranty once Acoustic went under. Eventually I fixed most of them well enough to go out the door with a 90 day warranty and a low price tag. Very few were ever returned on my watch, but it seems like nearly every one had different symptoms, and I spent a ton of time re-engineering them for better stability.

Fuzzy: if yours has lasted this long someone may well have taken the time at some point to make it real, or maybe it was just OK from the start. They could/can sound really good (for guitar) with enough massaging, in my experience.

18. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    how much did you pay for it?

try to remember that just because it's a tube amp, doesn't mean it's worth buying/owning. the old Gibson GA45T and GA20T are perfect examples of that. they look cool and would appear to be gibson's version of a fender deluxe reverb or a vibrolux, but they are far from it and (IMO, and most others) sound horrible.

IMO, the G60T was a bit too harsh and midrangy for my taste and that's even with the sweet sounding stock EV12L that was in it. mine was pretty mint, but i gave it to a friend of mine that needed an amp for helping move a bunch of my amps from my storage unit to my house 3 years ago.

19. Cant find any info on used gear reurn policey so hopefully they will take it back in the morning!

And i have learned a lesson!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021