Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMPEG TO ASHDOWN

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassampegman, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Hi i have just moved over to Ashdown after a sad fairwell to my SVTCL head. I have changed as i needed lighter and less expensive gear for smaller gigs etc.

My question is i still have Ampeg cabs namely the SVT410HE and SVT15E both 8 ohm cabs.

Now do i use those with my Ashdown ABM500 EVO 11 or sell them and get Ashdown cabs if so which ones ??

I do like the 410 and 1 x 15 format as i like a full deep and punchy sound, should i get the lower cost Mag cabs, or the Abm series in which case the compact versions or the normal sized cabs. Why it the Ashdown heads are only 18" wide while all the cabs are 24" wide approx ??

Any help, do i stick with the Ampeg cabs ( only 4 months old ) or move totally over to Ashdown ??

2. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    The response, of course, is "try them both." You're lucky that you've already got the Ampeg cabs and Ashdown is in your neighborhood.

I would personally think you might want to opt for the ABM cabs - if for no other reason than because they are small and made to go with your head.

Then again, I've seen George Reiff (New Earth Mud) use a 500 EVO and an Ampeg 810, so I assume there must be some chemistry there.

3. Problem is most local shops do not stock both makes, in a shop its difficult to judge the sound compared to your existing gear back home.

The Ashdown ABM Compact 115 and 210t look a nice rig, anybody use those cabs ??

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I use a MAG-210T cab (not ABM), and I can witness this is a very good cab. Handles lower notes very well, and very responsive.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    JL

5. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    I am thinking about the same switch, from Ampeg to Ashdown. How do you like the sound compared to the Ampeg? I don't want to miss the thump of my Ampeg, but that Mag210T combo is very intriguing.

7. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I'd stick with the Ampegs. The Ashdown cabs are okay, but I haven't seen anyone rave about them. The 410 + 115 setup rules (I used to have an all Ampeg 410 + 118 setup that was sweet), so you have the right configuration for several uses.

There was a local shop clearing out their Ashdown cabs awhile back (they wanted to move out of them) and I wanted to give them a whirl. Anyways, the clerk that knew that I had an Aggie head told me "Don't bother." I'm sure they're not that bad, but there's no sense replacing what appears to be a good setup. If it's not broke...

8. yep i think i will stay with the Ampeg cabs for the time being.

The Ashdown head sounds great its a shame about the footswitch not having leds as its difficult to tell if you have switched the valve drive on or off sometimes etc.

Still a great value for money rig in my opinion.