Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Tone ¥Tim C from Rage¤, out of my Eden©©©

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Muttluk, Apr 1, 2001.

1. OK, i've read a ton of people getting an ampeg tone out of their edens, but ampeg cannot get the eden tone© Now, i can obviously get the eden tone out of my eden, but i also want that Tim C tone, you know kinda dirty, fat bass© Will my amp be able to acheve that tone? I've got an Eden WT-800, and the D-4x10xlt cab© For the "dirt" i've got a Tech 21 Bass Driver© Any recomendations on how to get that tone?

2. Muttluk, Just a thought here ,but from reading your profile perhaps upgrading your bass or even choice of strings could help in your quest for this illusive tone. It would appear that you have a fantastic rig there , and from my experience there is alot to be said for the quality of woods , pick-ups , etc of a bass that play a huge role in your overall tone.

3. yeah, i know that my rig could sound a whole hell of a lot better if i had a different bass, when i demo'd out my rig at bass NW, i used a Fender 62 RI Jazz, and i'll tell you, that tone was sooo sweet, havnt been able to get near that tone wiht my bass ¥MIM Jazz¤© I've been heavily considering buying a MM stearling, or J 62 RI, but then i keep seeing and hearing Gretsch's ¥guitars not basses¤, and it makes me wonder where i want to spend my money©

4. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    I dont think Tim C. uses ampeg heads. He uses SVT-810 cabs, but I saw them live on SNL and it looks like he uses SWR heads. And switches between them for distortion and clean.

5. Pretty sure Primate is right.. but I think early on Tim might have used an all SWR rig.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Muttluk, the half-stack will also sound a lot different even if you used the same bass, because the size of your bedroom is a lot different than a large room with very very tall ceilings, like bass nw. It allows the sound to open up a lot more. IMO, you shouldve tried the rig out with an MIM Fender like you have, that would've been the smarter thing (i know, its hard. i demoed my Ampeg with a Spector fretless and my Bag End with a Flea bass).

As far as the Timmy tone; im pretty sure he just boosts bass (quite a bit) and treble (a little), leaves mids pretty much flat. It changes though, sometimes ive heard where he totally boosts it, and others where its got a big smiley.

7. eh©©© i'm not complaining about my tone, its great tone, but i just wanna be able to get that "metal" tone like Tim C's got for when i play metal, and since many people "claim" they can get the Ampeg type tone with their Edens, i was wondering if somone could share© thats all© all is good©©©© I'll just keep messing with all 15 or so knobs that i have to adjust the tone with ¥9 on the eden head, 6 on the tech 21 bass driver¤, and see what i end up coming out with©

p©s Angus©©© are you mega angus?

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's actually pretty easy to get an Ampeg sound out of an Eden head ... especially the WT-800. But Ampeg sucks, and I wouldn't want to be responsible for somebody perverting that golden Eden tone.

9. You can't get an Ampeg sound out of an Eden. know why? Cause it ain't an Ampeg. You might get a reasonable facsimilie of the new Ampegs, which don't sound anything like the vintage ones. But it ain't ever gonna sound like a vintage SVT (which is what TimC used in the studio for at least the first two records). I'm not bashing Eden, I dig 'em, but they're about as different from an SVT as you're gonna get.
    P.S. My '76 SVT certainly does not suck, Munjibunga:D:p, and you'd need more than a WT-800 to drown it out, too! hehe.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    uh ... April Fools?

11. :D:D heheheh. I really shouldn't rise to these things, but sometimes I just can't help it....Actually, you're right about the new Ampegs....

12. I know what a 70's ampeg SVT sounds like, my guitar teacher has got one© And only one word can discribe it's tone©©© "FAT"©©© I know that PBG said that he could get it with the all tube Eden head easily, but i was wondering if your able to do it with the hybrid Eden heads© I know that the classic eden tone is great, and i love it, its just that i'm exploring the possiblilites of my head, and one of them is seeing if it can get that "fat" tone© thats all©©© any suggestions?

13. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Try cranking the enhance knob, and boosting the low mids. That should get you some grit and fatten your tone up a bit. Why the hell do you have symbols all over your posts? It's very annoying.

14. I have symbols all over my posts? they dont show up on my computer©©© are you from USA? cause it could be that its not completley translating into another language correctly or somthing©

15. there are little copyright symbols all over your posts

16. are you serious? cause i have never put them there, and never seen them©©© that is very freaky©©© does everyone else see them on my posts? do they show up randomly or are they at end of sentences? i apologise if its showing up, but i have never placed them there, and never intend on placing them there©

17. it appears that everywhere you put a period there is a symbol instead

do you have something weird as your system font?

18. yeah, I see them too...

19. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm from the US. Little copywrite symbols are what I'm seeing too. In your last reply, they appeared after the words, "them", "freaky", and "there". Hope this helps you figure out what's doing it.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Muttluck, this is what your last post in this thread looks like to everyone else.

I have been seeing the little © symbols in place of your periods for several weeks now. Must be a font issue or something.