Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg tone from Mesa?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thirdeye, Dec 15, 2002.

1. I've heard people say that Ampeg tone can be achieved using a 400+.

I've never played thru ampeg so I can only go off recordings.

So how would I set up the eq on my 400+ or m-pulse 600 to get that deep bassy sound that SVTs' get.

Some of you might be tempted to tell me to go out and buy a svt classic if I want that sound,but I'm just asking out of interest to see if that first statement is true,plus Ampeg products aren't available in New Zealand.

Cheers for any help.

2. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    If you do a search, you'll find a big thread with 400+ settings. I believe MadSubwoofer has his be-all-end-all setting using a splitter sending the signal to both channels, running the EQ flat and engaging both pull/boosts/shift knobs while adjusting the volume of each channel to taste.

3. So what kind of sound is your Mesa giving?

4. *flamesuit on*

So you're asking a mercedes to perform like a Kia?
    :D

My M-2000 gets ampeg tones when i want it to, however I get an intelligibility that no Ampeg can touch.

5. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Had a 400+ and tried for a year or so to get an SVT-esque snarl out of it. It just wasn't happening. The preamp of the 400+ is like that of a fender showman, and it's all mid-cut. Plus, you'll never get the 'roar' of an SVT out a 400+, because the amp just gets muddy when distorted.

Hey 78Pbass - I can't speak for the M-2000, but my old SVT stomps the 400+ into the ground in both power and tone. Try that on fer size! :D

6. None taken! I liken the 400+ to the Triple Recto, whereas the SVT is more classic Marshall. The 400/recto is modern and less warm and big, but higher gain and (generally)louder. The SVT makes a bolder statement, but lacks the refinement (which isnt really a bad thing) that 400+ is lauded for.

Thats my take. After that's said, its all taste.

7. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Except that I've never heard a 'rectumfrier' that was half as loud as an old 100 watt superlead!

And I wouldn't say the 400+ is more refined, or higher gain, or louder. I think an old SVT is much more flexible that a 400+, even with only four knobs and a few switches. I think it's because of that fender preamp - I just *hate* not being able to boost the mids.

As for gain/volume, I'm guessing you've never heard an SVT cranked past 1 O'clock. :D

8. Both of my amps sound awsome.

I was just wondering if the SVT tone can be achieved,and with me being inexperienced in using mesa or even tube amps all together,I wasn't quite sure how to go about getting that sound.

From what rickman says,looks like it's not possible,

So I take it that the graghic eq isn't boost either??

9. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Graphic EQ is boost and cut. The rotary EQ knobs are boost only for bass and treble, and cut only for mids, i.e. a 0-10-0 (bass-mid-treble) is a "flat" setting.

Actually more like 1-10-1, but you get the point.

10. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    best friend's owned both and i've heard both a ton, recto much more volume and gain than an old marshall (gotta say imo or else everyone well hate me) IMO

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I drive a Mercedes. I bought it because I wanted the Mercedes drive and feel. If I wanted a Porsche drive and feel, I'd buy a Porsche.

More seriously, Mesa are neither better nor worse than Ampeg, and vice versa. They are just two different brands making different amps. I believe you can't substitute one with another.