Ampeg tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Ok, so Ampeg stuff is expensive.... So if I bought and SVTIII or something similar, would I still have most of the ampeg tone with a different cab? Peavey, yorkville....something. Cost is the reasoon I'm asking. Or do you need both pieces to get that nice fat round sound?
  2. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    To me, the ampeg cabinet is a big part of what gives you the classic ampeg tone. I've owned four ampeg cabinets to this day and I have loved all of them. Since I do have such an Ampeg bias for cabinets, I'm probably not the one to be answering this question, but I will say that I have plugged into other cabinets and been really let down by my tone. That's not to say that you would be let down if you worked the EQ enough. Stay away from the Hartke Transporter series though. Your best bet is to buy your head, then just take it in to music stores and try out cabs.

I also have a SVT-3 Pro for sale, so if you're intereted in one let me know.
  3. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i believe that the last thing to touch the sound gives the most influence, gotta have the cabs.
  4. You'd definatly need the cabs id say, i dont get the full "ampeg tone" from my SVT II and peavey cab

I dont think the SS and hybrid ampegs catch the true ampeg tone, and the newer all tube amps are just scraping it ( SVT CL & SVT 2 Pro )
  5. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    IMO, the classic ampeg tone is 810 + SVT.

I used a 410HE and SVT 3Pro yesterday and all it sounded like was mud :(
  6. Funny you say that POP, I tryed the same combination a few months ago, when I was searching for amps and got the same responce- if anything I think it's the Amp... I use a GK 800RB with a Ampeg SVT410he and it sounds pretty good, unles you try pumping really low stuff... Definatly a cab with a midrange bias sounds much better with hte GK though.

Definatly think that the tone comes from an all tube amp, and the ampeg cabients, which I have found distort rather easily at volume. Eden Cabinets are pretty warm too but no where near that Ampeg sound!
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^Yeah, I love the sound of GK's through Ampegs. I always loved Flea's old rig that used that, sounded sweet.
  8. i've got to agree, the svtIII does not seem to please many ampeg fans. if you're after the real ampeg sound you have to go SVT CL or some of the other pro heads or even the V4BH, in my humble opinion. i like most high end ampeg stuff but the svt15e cabs were a real disappointment too, way too boomy. i had two of them with 210he's for two stacks and the 15e's were killing me so i dumped them. much better cabs out there, like the 410hlf and 810. don't get me wrong, i think ampeg has great stuff, but for me, i've had some ampeg stuff i'd never buy again, including the pb250 head, the s.s. 150h and 350h heads, and that awful svtIII pro head, and the svt15e cabs. lets face it, if you want that classic ampeg sound, it's unlikely you're going to get it from anything except the svtII pro, svt4pro, svt5pro and svt6pro, svtcl, type heads and some big ampeg cabs. again, just my humble opinion.
  9. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    The Bergantino NV610 is a great alternative (though not less expensive...)
  10. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'm going to be selling my SVT-115E with upgraded 300 watt 15" Delta Pro woofer. $250 + shipping and it's yours. That's pretty inexpensive IMO.
  11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Thanks for the heads up Bassman Blue. I'm buying a V4BH here soon and I was deciding on getting a SVT115 or SVT210 to go with it. I was leaning towards the 115 but if they're that horrible I'll get the 210.
  12. don't want to scare you off of the svt115e, give one a try yourself to see what you think, but since selling mine, i've read other reviews that also comment on the boominess of the svt115e, maybe with an upgraded speaker they would be better. the svt210he are great cabs. and the v4bh i owned i wish i still had, wonderful tone machine. good luck.
  13. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    As always opinions will vary & this reply is of course just my humble opinion ;) I think the 3 pro is a really good amp. Its definately not "plug & play"... it takes some to dial it in & I think it gets a bad rap because of this. However, when a 3 pro is dialed in, to me it sounds very much like the 300 watt all tube Ampegs at "lower levels"... meaning before the power tubes get pushed in those amps. The 3 pro won't "growl" like the CL or 2 pro, but I sure could get mine VERY loud with a sweet tone. I actually have some pointers I can email to you that should help you get the amp dialed in. PM me if you want them.

I also LOVE the SS150H :D Using it for bass, I can make mine sound d@mn near like my '74 SVT... of course it isn't nearly as loud. Its also super light weight, as opposed to my 100 friggin' lb. SVT. It is also pure Dimebag if you use it for guitar, although an eq in the fx loop is essential to dial away the hi gain distortion's buzzies... but I don't need the eq for bass. It's got plenty of power too, I use mine to power two 412 guitar cabs and for bass a 410+15 no problem - it is best to run the thing at 4 ohms for max power. Anyway, that was the best $150 I ever spent... other than on hookers :eek:

I previously used two SVT 15E's with an SVT CL. I loved the tone... but at that time I wasn't looking for an "in your face punch", I wanted something full and smooth. My only complaint was the wattage (the pair was rated 400 watts RMS)... they would break up if I pushed them too hard. I then tried using two SVT 410 HE's which had a nice punch, but it wasn't enough low end for me. Next was an SVT 410HE + SVT 15E and that was the right combination of punch & low end.

Now to get back to the subject. I love the sound of my SS150H through the SVT 410HE + SVT 15E. Last month I was on tour in Japan and took my SS150H with me. I used the house cabs, which varied by club. A few clubs had SVT 810 cabs & the SS sounded fabulous through them. But others had Hartke, Warwick (?) and I think there was a Peavey along the way. The SS sounded like crap through those other cabs, no matter how I turned the knobs.

But in the end, it is your ears that will decide which cabs sound the best to you. In my experience gear never sounds the same at home as it does in the store. I suggest you buy your gear from a store with a liberal return policy, take it home & give it a workout. If you don't like it, keep going back until you do.
  14. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Suprisingly, I feel the same way. The Ampeg cabs I tried with the SVT3-Pro before buying it were very bleh. Didn't give me the tone I really wanted. I bought an Ampeg head for the Ampeg tone, and went with an Avatar cab to save my wallet. I'm extremely pleased.
  15. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Hofner, Rotosound
    I didn't read through all the above posts, BUT:

For ME anyway - I love the Ampeg Classic 8x10 cabs. I like them better than their more expensive lines. For me, the head of choice is the Classic SVT Head as well. I also have an Ampeg 350H head, 200T head and a III-PRO head.

I've tried MANY different cabs over 31 years of playing - all different configurations and sizes, models... Nothing beats the classic 8x10 cabs (for me). Unless it's TWO Classic 8x10 cabs with your SVT Classic head running 2 ohms... SWEET!

I actually own THREE of them. One for gigging, one for home practice, one for band practice facility. THAT'S how much I like them. Sound is a relative thing, but if you're looking for the "classic" Ampeg tone - best choice IMO is SVT Classic head, SVT classic 8x10 bottom.

16. well I dont really need anything too big. just for jamming and acoustic gigs.... I was thinking a

Ampeg SVT350H +210?

ALTHOUGH I hear the SVT350H is totally different than a deep round ampeg tone. because it is SS not tube... any truth? I'll be buying online and no local places carry this stuff so I'm kinda buying blind which sucks... although there is an SVT3 and 4 here.
  17. for an SS amp its ok, i think my peavey firebass is better than the one i tried, wasnt really that impressed with it

(for some reason its in my head that it might have only been a 200 watt one i was trying, SVT200H maybe, either way, had to be up full to compete)
  18. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Well, to answer your question, you would get the Ampeg tone from the SVT head, as it sounds voiced through the cabinet you use- Peavey, Yorkville, Eden, whatever!

I think that the "classic Ampeg sound" you mean has a lot to do with the tone produced by matching their Classic Series heads & cabs, particularly their all-tube SVT, V4BH, and Pro-II heads, run through the SVT cabs, or their reissue B-15, which is essentially a Fliptop combo using a V4BH and SVT-15E cab, with a horn. A real purist will tell you that they don't reproduce "Vintage" Ampeg tone- True- the circuits are different. But I played an older B-15N for years, and currently work with a V4BH/SVT-48HE as one of my rigs, and whatever the sonic differences are, it's good tone!

I've never played the SVT-III; I've read posts where users are unhappy, say it's underpowered, etc. I couldn't comment on that. I have used their B2 solid-state head through an Ampeg Classic cab, and thought it sounded excellent, and did a great job of reproducing the Ampeg voicing- real full and phat, as close to a tube circuit as I've heard.

Finally I wish players would keep in mind that there are variables in how a rig sounds.
    Personal taste, first and foremost. Then you have to consider
    the instrument your playing, the strings you use, your signal chain and it's settings, and most importantly, the style and attack that is unique to every player.
    It gets old hearing that "Brand X" is muddy, or weak, or whatever. I've played thru a super-high $$ Demeter rig -
    all-tube power amp; VTB pre- Great rig, just not my sound, nor is Eden or SWR; but they are excellent gear IF they fit your taste and style.

It takes some trial and error and effort to find YOUR sound.
    Have fun doing so.
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My "faux SVT" is either SansAmp RBI or Ampeg SVP-Pro into a power amp into a Bergantino NV610. Punchy! And easier to move than the big 8x10.
  20. casey04976

Jan 20, 2008
    we just bought an ampeg svt6pro. it is being run with an avatar b410 neo@4 ohms. today my husband noticed a humming almost like feedback whenever he touches the treble knob (literally just lay a finger on it). does anyone know what could be causing this.:help: