Ampeg tone.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rimas, May 12, 2002.

1. What preamp would give me a good vintage ampeg tone. Im currently using a CLarus and a Bag End S15B, with a MIA P strung with flat. I play alot of gigs on my upright( thats why I bight the rig), but I would really love a vintage ampeg tone without the 80-90 pounds that usually accomodates it. Suggestions Please??

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    get a ampeg tube pre amp
  3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the only way to get a genuine ampeg tone is to get an ampeg preamp. tube of course
  4. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I doubt that would do it... you gotta find one of the old Vintage SVTs
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    he doesn't want the wieght so that is going to be the closest he can get.
    unless you can get an amp modulator that has the ampeg svt?
    i have never tried one so i wouldn't know
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Ampeg SVP-PRO... of course

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I assume from the type of tools you use that you are likely looking for the B15/B12 sound. (Can anyone say James Jamerson?) I don't think you are looking for an SVT sound.

You are going to have a heck of a time getting that sound from your rig. The B15 sound is the combination of a slightly overdriven 25 or 50 watt head and the paricular cab that came with it. You are not going to get that sound from a solid state amp and a Bagend cab no matter what you put in front of it. Not even the SVP, IMHO, will sound that way.

I think the best thing you can do is get a decent tube pre, like a Hughes&Kettner tube factor. This is not necessarily an overdrive. It is designed for adding some tube warmth to the sound. Another one to look for is a Retrospec Squeeze Box. This is a tube compressor/DI/pre that will really fatten up the sound even if the compressor is off. There are many other brands to try that will likely work for you.

Neither of these are going to get the real B15 sound. They won't really even come close, but that is your best shot for something in a box.

In my opinion, anyone who tells you they can get an SVT sound from a little box, or the B-15 sound from some modelling amp has not played throuhg a really good late 60's, early 70's SVT with an 8x10, or a good vintage fliptop. I think this is true regardless of who makes the box.
  8. Thanks for the replies. I think Im just gonna go for the vintage v-4.
  9. crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Lo Z-

You speak the truth, my brother. As an owner of an old B15, an SVT, and one of those Sansamp Bass Driver boxes, I can tell you there's no comparison. The Sansamp WILL make a crappy solid state amp sound better, but nothing can replace the sound of tubes moving speakers. Anyone who advertises differently is yankin' yer chain, brah.
  10. I'll 3rd Lo-Z. I've realized in the last couple of years what guitarists have known for a while - speakers are 1/2 of the sound! Tubes pushing speakers is the magic.

11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Did you consider selling off the stuff you have and just getting an Ampeg B100R?
  12. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Or a B15R for that matter.
  13. Nope. So far, all the gigs Ive ever played have been jazz gigs on my upright. Ive had the rig for a whole week now, and I'm just lookin to build a mini rock rig, with a warm tube tone. What would the Aguilar db659 do for me? what do you guys think? thanks.
  14. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    well, i use an aggie 659 and i used to have a bag
    end s-15-d which i used to play with it.

in my experience, you will never get much of a vintage sound out of the bag ends. just too high-fi with too much mid-range volume (harshness?)

the 659 has a very warm old-school vibe, but it's a bit more hi-fi than the sound i think you're after and it's a pretty expensive unit.

man, i really dig the ampeg b100r combo thing. if you haven't tried it, its probably worth a go and it's under $500.

i also know ampeg has a new line of light weight portable cabs you might check into (haven't heard yet myself) and heads as well.

but i'm still really plugging the b100r :)
  15. Heard an upright thru a B15R this weekend that sounded COOL.
  16. Ive tried the b100R, but I'm probably not going to get it. Im pretty sure that a vintage v-4 will get me the tone I'm looking for. I will probably play it through the bag end until I have need for a bigger rig. At this point I will pick up an ampeg cabinet. Like I said earlier, Im looking to get a mini rock rig, svt tone, and Im kind of a tube nerd.
  17. what if I use an old 70's SVT with my Eden (loaded w/Carvin drivers) cabs? Am I still gonna get that SVT sound?
  18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've got one of these mothers (the reissue solid-state) and it is a thing of beauty. Probably the sickest deal I've ever gotten - got it used for under $200.00 and it is in excellent condition.

Anyway, if you want a GREAT vintage tone, this is the way to go.