1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg too expensive?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bugsyM, Apr 15, 2006.

1. bugsyM

bugsyM

Oct 28, 2005
    Australia
    This will be my first public post.
    I know you've all heard it before, but in the States you've got it so good. Street price for Ampeg in Australia is SVT3Pro = $A2400, and SVT410HLF = $A2000 (and that's if you know the bloke at the music store and pay cash). Here, tone comes at a much higher price, yet nearly every pro player still uses Ampeg or wants to. If the pricing is difficult to comprehend, check out an Aus. website. We don't have the luxury of a massive used market (pop. 20 million). The point is, we still buy the stuff even though (with a Fender, Warwick, Musicman bass or similar) the average pro rig here is worth at least $A7k. My bass playing colleagues and myself don't question spending this type of money because we earn a living or a good percentage of it from playing but it serves to put in perspective what I feel are rather puerile arguments regarding what we would consider miniscule differences between the pricing of various amp options. Our choices are made based on tone alone and luckily, anyone living in the States doesn't have to make such a comittment. Spare a thought for us.

2. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    first of all, welcom to talkbass. this is the best website on the internet. you cant help but learn from the people that post on here. i'm wondering if the pricing in australia has to do with 2 things. 1, as you said you dont have a huge vintage market there and i was thinking that maybe unlike here in the states, there are probably a lot fewer musicians. also, if you ordered or a store there ordered equipmet from ampeg, the shipping to australia is ungodly expensive. i shipped a 1966 vox berkley 2 amp and cab to australia a couple of years ago and it was 400.00us. that may have a lot to do with pricing. just my .02 worth.

3. Welcome to the real world, its not just the US, in the UK its bad aswell, the ampeg SVT2Pro which retails in the us for about $1,500 US is usually ~£1,900 ($3,350 US) over here

Keep an eye out for second hand ampeg stuff or look for a similar australian made brand (if possible)

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My thoughts are that there are several "forces" at work...

First is the freight cost as was mentioned.

Next is VAT, which I suspect that you have to pay. Here in the US we pay what we call "sales tax" which is typically in the 5% to 9% range. Some states like Oregon have (or had) no sales tax. The laws aren't well enforced about us having to pay sales tax in most instances on items we buy via mail order (or the over the internet). This means that if I was inclined to buy something from Musician's Friend, I'd pay less (assuming that they had free shipping) than if I walked into a local Guitar Center store (Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend) and bought the same item, because I'd have to pay sales tax locally.

In the used market, folks are always trying to get back as much of their original investment as possible...if there are few alternatives (low supply, high demand and the cost of new gear) used gear prices are high.

We are very spoiled by low prices for most things in the US. I'm not sure that it's such a good thing though. This leads us as a nation to spend even more, save less, filling our ever-growing homes with more and more cr@p. Many of my neighbors can't get their cars (or gigantic SUVs) into their garages because the clutter has spilled out of the house into the garage. We joke that they have their $40K to $60K vehicles sitting in the driveway because their garages are filled with a few hundred dollars with of junk...

5. shame there isnt a way around this, find a freind going to the USA and give him a shopping list, im sure they can find space for an amp... was that a realy stupid suggestion? probably

6. I hear you man, I have seen a USED SVT-2 on sale ata bass shoppe with an asking price of over 3000 bucks. Green Square are selling schroeders for pretty damm decent prices with a trail period and you can get a fender version of the 300t or 1200s both for less then 3k at musicianswarehouse. But over all gear is way to expensive over here if you want somethign 1/2 decent.

7. Unfortunaly in a lot if not most cases the power is an issue. I have seen a lot of new amps with a 110/220(240) witch though. But on the other hand I have also seen a friends USA MesaBoogie blow up because some idiot was not using the power converter when borrowing it. The cost of making amps compatible with our power (this operation can often be unreliable) could be another factor driving prices up.

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I sold a mint condition Rickenbacker 4003 (Fireglo) to a gentleman in England on eBay. I wasn't planning on shipping outside the US, but this guy new every single form I needed to fill out at the US post office, and he knew exactly what the cost would be. He made it very easy for me - he knew to have me mark it as a gift, for example - to avoid some kind of tax in England. I was glad to help him out. If you ever need anything over there, just let me know - I'll be more than happy to get it here or have you buy it and have it shipped to me, then I'll use the cheapest (and best) company I know of, DHL to ship it to you, or whatever way you think is the least expensive.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm all for helping people out, but I'd be real careful before shipping a bunch of "gifts" overseas unless they truly are gifts. I suspect that you're leaving yourself open for some legal problems by lying on a Customs declaration that you have to sign...

10. All I know is I'd swim to America for an SVT.

Hey, I'll trade you an SVT for two kangaroos, a case of Foster's, a magic boomerang, and a surfer chick.

11. If you chuck in a 410 you got yourself a deal! :ninja:

12. www.basscentre.com.au were running out SVT3 pros for $2000, but I walked out with an Eden for that price and I don't regret the decision one bit.

13. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Include a Koala, and maybe we have a deal.

Man, I needa find a SVT now...

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado

I appreciate the concern - it *should* be valid. We can't even secure our borders, though. I would have absolutely no concern about doing this at all.

15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That may be true, but you're offering to sign a document with false information with the intent of cheating a government out of money...governments don't like to be cheated out of money.

With the Patriot Act allowing big brother to know what we check out from the library, don't you think that they keep track of packages sent internationally and under what circumstances?

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I really think you're playing with fire...

Nuf said on my part...