1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ampeg too heavy for skb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ollybarclay, Apr 19, 2006.

1. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    ampeg svt 4pro (heavy) mounted in 4 space skb rack (green badge)

given the weight of the amp is only having contact with 4 points on the aluminium racking frame, is it possible the frame might bend?

i've just been on tour for 10 days and of course i carry my equipment with the utmost care but my guitarists don't seem to understand that concept, despite me shouting at them.

i'm sure having gotten home and set up my rig in my room again that the case is slightly mishapen...anyone had this happen before?

the case still closes fine on all the catches, i'm thinking i should wedge some sort of supports under the amp just so that when it sits flat in the case the weight is better distributed...

2. I have my Aguilar DB750 in a SKB rack (red badge) and It works great. Is the green badge a cheaper model?

3. All SKB cases are stated to handle up to 155lbs, so i was told by the ppl at SKB, but personally i didnt trust thier word enough to stick my SVT-II in it (would also only be racked using 4 screws on the front), 42lbs is nothing, the rack will be fine

Now, you say your amp is heavy? no its not, its only 42 lbs, my SVT-II is 85 lbs, more than double that, when its not in a rack case!

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've always used SKBs and heavy rigs with no problems, I always mount the heaviest piece on the bottom, and with an old rig I had I also shimmed under the amp with a couple pieces of wood to make sure that the amp was resting on the bottom rather than relying completely on the rack ears to hold it up.

5. mattvon

mattvon

Jan 22, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Like I_got_a_mohawk, I have a SVT-II, but I have mine in a red-badge SKB case (mounted only on the front). It's rock-solid, never been an issue over the span of the 10 years my brother owned it.

I think you'll be fine.

6. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    i think the green badge is older than the red ones...not sure though.

thanks for your comments, hopefully it's just my eyes playing tricks. will definately wedge some wooden blocks or something underneath, just to set my mind at ease.

thanks.

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Without making any comment on SKB....

IIRC all the rack-mounted SVT units have a 1/4-20 US thread mounting point on the back in case it is necessary to support them by more than just the rack ears.

That can take a load off the rack parts as well as the unit.

We used to use "plumbers tape" (a perforated metal strip material here in the US) or else angle iron, in PA racks back in the day. What is best depends on what else is in the rack.

It's especially important on tour, when the gear may be handled by "careless 3rd parties" (AKA gorillas, goons, whatever) in transit, at load-in/out, etc.

There are plenty of decent working folks, but there are some others too. You have to expect that any unit may get dropped, slammed, etc by folks that are looking for "beer-thirty" or may have started early.

8. Do the older (ie SVT-II ) units have this aswell? i may make use of it when its in my new rack if possible, also, how do you make use of those points?

Cheers
    - Will

9. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    yeah, i'd like to know how your use this "thread mounting point" on the back...can't say i've noticed one..