1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Tube Gurus (Cinnci oriented)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anonymous02282011, Apr 13, 2011.

1. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Hi All

I just sold my beloved Ampeg V4B to a super nice guy out in Cinnci OHIO.

The amp got there just fine via UPS ...

However ...

I had removed the power tubes and packed them separately in the head case and one of the NOS 7027A power tubes came loose. It was rolling around the headcase upon arrival.

The tube itself isn't broken but there is a tiny loose piece of metal (filament maybe?) that is now loose inside the tube ...

So, three questions:

1) Is this tube still good, and should it plugged into it's socket and the amp turned on to see what happens?

2)What are your thoughts on buying a single "non-matched" 7027A and throwing it in there?

3) Can anybody recommend a good tube amp tech around Cinnci? :p

Much thanks boyz and girlz

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Try the dudes at Chrome Dome Audio. ChromeDomeAudio - Home They seem to know their stuff. The J. Kennedy guitar repair shop is in there too. (http://www.jkennedyguitars.com/) He's been nice to deal with although my bass has been delayed for far too long. He's making it right though, repairs on the house!

3. erock0138

erock0138

Feb 4, 2011
    Cincinnati
    +1

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Loose metal bits in the tube is bad news - good way to short things out I would think.

If you can find a single NOS 7027A that tests the same as the others then sure. Good luck with that. Not to say that tossing one in there will destroy the head, but definitely not ideal.

If those don't work out, there is a "good amp techs" thread that might have another suggestion or two.

5. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    If this amp had been used the tube was not NOS (new old stock) it was a used original equipment tube.
    As I remember (from my old V4B that had also had original tubes), you would want to replace 1 pair of output tubes and re-bias. I think it would be more trouble than it's worth to find another tube that actually matched up specs wise.

6. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    good point Jim. It was in fact the original tube.

So, which pair do you replace? Are they "push-pull" like the SVT?

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    You want to match inner and outer I believe. Just to be clear, I meant that as in the inner two are a pair, the outer two are a pair.

8. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Thanks Corey :)

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    There are super nice guys in Cincinnati? :eyebrow:

10. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    :smug:

I can vouch for at least one

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021