ampeg tweeter help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stephenq, Sep 4, 2009.

1. stephenq

stephenq

Jul 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    so i got my ampeg ba 115 100w a couple months ago used on ebay, yesterday i noticed a buzzing sound, long story short the tweeter is done for, or there is a connection issue, i called ampeg and they told me this would be a wise choice
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-532

thoughts? advice?

thanks alot!!

2. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    AMPEG won't even sell you a replacement, HA...

Yeah rip the thing out. Then step on it...

Dont forget to block the hole.

See asked for help and got it. If you can't bare to step on it, send it to me and I will for you.

BOB

3. I have the same amp...first thing I did was diconnect the tweeter. IMO bass amps should NOt have tweeters.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'll save you the tweeter editorializing, and say if Ampeg said to get it, it should be fine.

5. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Stupid question, but how exactly did you disconnect the tweeter? Did you just clip the wires?

6. MadJap

MadJap

Aug 26, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I suppose you could do that...

I removed the tweeter screws, pulled the tweeter out and just removed one of the wires off the tweeter. I then taped it to the other wire so that it wouldn't fall and short something.

I think you'll find that most Ampeg BA115 owners unhook the tweeter, because of the amp's tendency to hiss excesively.

MIJ

7. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Yeah I noticed the hissing on mine as well, which is why I asked.

EDIT: Just did the mod, and WOW it sounds like a new amp! Thanks for the tip!

8. kevs

kevs

Feb 15, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I had to disconnect the tweeter on the BA115 that I used to own. Went in through the whole in the back pulled the wire connectors from the tweeter and taped them up. No more hiss.

9. no ampeg should have a tweeter.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021