Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Users My question to you....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TribalisticBass, Jun 12, 2005.

1. I am working on getting a resectable bass rig. I currently play on a 1x15 Ibanez combo. SoSo. I was talking with the guys in my area music shop, and this is the set-up we decided I should probably get: SVT-3 Pro head, on SVT 210 OHE, and a SVT 15E. Do you guys know this equipment? I play a 4-string but sometimes play with an octave pedal. Will I have the headroom I'm lookin' for? Is 300 W all I need for live shows? I trust bass players over salesmen. thank for the imput. Please suggest ampeg products if you think what I listed could be replaced by a better model, and give a reason for the upgrade. Thanks for any input.

2. Whenever ive heard the SVT3-Pro ive not been that impressed with it in comparison to some other ampeg products, and depending on how big the live shows your going to play are you may find its not gonna cut it volume-wise.

If your running two 8 ohm cabs (4 ohms) then it will be 450 watts ( it is only 275 watts at 8ohms ), but from what ive seen around here people seem to think its lacking in power and headroom

now . . . 300 all tube watts is a different story ;)

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I happen to think the SVT 3 Pro is a good sounding head. The question to answer is whether YOU like it. It is not very powerful so you'll want to run it into a 4 ohm load as already been mentioned. On the other hand, a friend of mine plays one in clubs all over town though a Goliath II 8 ohm box and has no trouble being heard but he does not play loud rock.

4. As i said,I wasnt that impressed by it,

but it is down to you to choose (as was said)

What kind of music do you play, and what size of bad/ what size of equipment will everyone else be using?

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It depends on how you set the amp. I use the amp at a rehearsal space throug an SVT 810 in my Band Theorem. We play LOUD, aggressive rock/metal. I have no problem being heard and I can go louder if needed.

6. catdriver

catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    I'm currently running an SVT3P into a pair of 8ohm 4x10's (for a 4ohm total load). It some times seems a bit aneamic, but then others it's fine, it's funny. I do find that I'm driving it at 1 o'clock on the gain and 3 o'clock on the master, which seems a bit excessive. Has a lot to do with the space we use for practice, since I've not gigged with it yet. I think it's a good head but I think there are better. My choice if I could do it agin, since I do like the sound of the head, would be to use the SVTxxx preamp that is same as the Pro and then drive my stack with a Crown or Stewart stereo power amp. There are a bunch of threads here regarding separates here if you feel like doing a search.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    To be honest, I think the 3Pro sounds fabulous....

But the two bands I've been in are extremely loud. Right now I'm in a Grunge/Punk 3-piece, with a guitar player that just abolutely blairs (Marshall Hybrid head and 1960A Cab). The 3Pro would probably keep up with it if I had the correct speaker assortment... but it wouldnt really allow for any special amount of headroom. The other situation... I was in a hardcore band, and I had competitiion from a rather loud CRATE combo and a Peavey 5150 Halfstack.... and I got killed with an Ampeg B2R. Now I promise that the 3Pro is louder than the B2R... but it still wouldnt have been enough to give me a lot of headroom.

Would it sound good? Yes. Would it be enough to get you through some gigs? Small to Small-Medium... and MAYBE some upper Medium (with PA support)... yes. Will you have the type of headroom that would allow you to play big shows without PA support? Not even close.

That, to me, makes it not worth the huge pricetag that some music store jockey is probably throwing at you.

If you insist upon dropping a ton of cash on Ampeg gear, then I suggest purchasing the 4Pro, 5Pro, or 6Pro. Of those 3, I'd definately recommend the 6Pro, because its sort of a more powerful version of the 3Pro.... or that's what it seems to be at least. If you wanted to go tube, pick up an SVT CL or an older SVT-II.

For cabs, it kind of depends on what size you can manage... I personally dont prefer Ampeg's SVT cabs. It also depends on if your going to tune down really low or not. Give each cab a test run. I really dont think that the 210 + 115 would handle a powerful head like the 6Pro though. You'd probably want something along the lines of the 610, 810, or PR-410.

But again... give us an idea of what kind of band you plan on playing with, how big the gigs could possibly get, what kind of money your looking to spend, and what sort of size you can deal with. That way, someone can give you a more specific answer.

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I just took a peek on musicians friend, and it looks like the SVT3P is about 900 bucks. For 1200 you could get the SVT-6 Pro (which looks really cool!) and for 1300 you could get an SVT-4Pro. Seems to me it would be a REALLY good idea to stretch a little farther and get one of the heads that is in the higher power class. You can always turn an amp down!!! IME 1000 watts is a lot better for a rock bass rig than 450!

Also, check out the classified section here. Your money goes a lot farther, especially on the head which is inexpensive to ship.

9. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Ampeg sound on a poor mans budget = SVPCL + power amp (you choose the wattage & brand). If I had to choose a single SVT cab... the SVT 412HE is a happy medium between 10's & 15's all in one box.

Although the setup you mentioned would probably work fine for you, the guys in your area music shop most likely suggested it because its something they have in stock, not necessarily because its what is best for you.

My best advice is TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. Stores such as Guitar Center have a very liberal return policy... 30 days should be plenty of time to make up your mind.

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Regarding my earlier comments on the 3 Pro, I liked the tone but wanted more power and I was already invested in a pre/power amp setup. While I haven't had long enough to test extensively, I recently swapped for an SVP Pro preamp and darn if it doesn't sound a lot like the 3 Pro head. SVP Pro preamps are available used for very reasonable prices so that gives you another option. Combine it with a used power amp (OSC RMX 850, for instance) and you're on your way.

11. I agree whole heartedly, if you want to go all tube and dont mind hernias its cool, look second hand on eb*y :ninja:

12. Arent the SVP Pro's bassed on the SVT II Pro preamp section? (or is that the same as the 3 pro pre section too ? )

On an unrelated note i really want to try out an SVT CL pre, sounds like it should be the f*cking buisness

13. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm not entirely sure what's based on what. From what I understand, the CL preamp is supposed to be like the preamp from the SVT head. You'll note that the Pro preamp, while it has more tubes than the 3 Pro head's preamp, seems to have the same features in terms of tone controls, switches, EQ and such. I thought about trying the CL preamp, but on the advice of one of my local bass gurus, I decided to try the Pro first. Glad I listened to him.

14. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    The SVP Pro isn't the same as the 3 pro's preamp, its closer to the 2 & doesn't even sound close to the 3 to my ears. I have played & owned a lot of Ampeg gear.... I like the SVPCL, I think its their best sounding current production preamp... which is why I suggested it in my earlier post.

15. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The fact that I think the Pro preamp sounds a lot like my friend's 3 Pro may have something to with the way I have the thing EQed and the cabinets I'm using. Just my opinion, of course.

16. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I wasnt busting your balls... I have A/B'd the 3 Pro and an SVP Pro through an SVT 810. With similar settings on both preamps, they did not sound the same to me. It was mostly the "tube gain" that reacted differently in each. I think the SVP Pro is a good preamp, I just prefer the SVPCL.

17. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well... I'm sure if you tried you could get the SVP-Pro or CL to sound somewhat like the 3Pro.

But the thing is, the 3Pro is a tube driven head with a SolidState power amp..... and the only other head that Ampeg offer that is a Tube driven/SS Hybrid is the new 6Pro really. And even the 6Pro has a slightly different tube configuration than the 3Pro.

18. Sorry guys forgot to subscribe to my own thread. thanks for all the suggestions. I have only played through combos my whole life, so alot of the ohms and watts is kinda over my head. I play in a band that plays a mix between hip-hop, funk, with a slightly jazzy feel. There are no monster stacks to compete with, yet. We are all upgrading at the moment. We have always played with PA support. But I'm sure that we might run into that situation. We don't usually have much distortion in our music. SO, What is better 4 ohms or 8 ohms. I guess that I might need more power than the 3Pro, so What would I get with the 6Pro? What kind of cabs should I run on the 6Pro? Can't afford the space or cash for 8x10 at the moment. I will be buying my rig piece by piece. Keep in mind I can't go over $1,700.00 Total. Please teach me somthing.

19. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    8mm;

Didn't think you were coming after me. Heck, I don't think the Pro preamp and the 3 Pro sound exactly the same, but they do sound close enough for my purposes. One of these days I may try the CL but I do like the Pro. For my usage I think it's gonna work well. I'll get to use it out next Sunday night and then I'll know.

20. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I will teach you something- buy used gear. here is an example... it is probable you can find a used SVPCL or SVP Pro for $300-$400... or a used 3 pro for about $600. I picked up a 1200 watt Stewart world 1.2 for $400 on ebay... add an SVT 810 for about $400 and you are well below your budget. There is a transferrable 5 year warranty on Ampeg amps & (I think) 2 years on the cabs.

But for the music and situations you described I personally think a 3 pro is plenty of power. Just stay away from the "ultra low" button... it sucks out all the balls *heh* I mean mids... and I am convinced thats why that amp has a bad rap for lack of power. But if you are set on buying new gear, the setup your local guys suggested would probably do you very well.