1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg v-4/v-4b versus Traynor YBA200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgod76, Jul 13, 2014.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I have an opportunity to pick up one of these. The Ampeg is a v-4, and is around $575 and the Traynor is $550. The a Traynor has a return policy; the Ampeg is final.

I'd like to hear from those who have had interactions with BOTH of these units. What do you like/do not like about these amps.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Only had experience with the V4, but I've had a few along with a few larger tube heads. If you have the speakers or don't need to be super loud they'll do just fine. If you need to be loud and clean with a small cab get something with more power.

I will say that you should consider the associated costs with the vintage amp into your price. The V4 will need to be recapped if it hasn't already and the 7027A tubes can potentially be an issue. Modern production can be hit or miss, some people have no issues, some people say they can't take the high plate voltages in the V4 but at the same time getting NOS tubes will cost you. Just a few things to keep in mind with those amps.

3. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    The Traynor is relatively new, so I think it would have less upfront repair costs, if any. Still thinking...