1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg V-412 cab- Were they good??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hdracer, May 8, 2010.

1. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I know that Ampeg has made good & bad cabs over the years. I can pick one of these up for what I think is cheap ($175.00), its in nice shape. I have been wanting a 4x12 for a while. I have been saving for a Bergantino, but at this price I would like to jump on it if its a good cab.

I just did a search on Harmony Central and the reviews are all over the place. I guess it really matters what year it was made.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Mine is a '73 and is loaded with Eminence 2512's. This is probably more speaker than it needs for the V4 head, but it will definitely handle larger heads if I throw them at it... Pretty authorative cabinet... Not a ton of low end projection unless I goose the lows a smidge. Nice midrange... Oh yeah... LOUD!

You know that these originally were guitar cabs, with guitar speakers... It is going to be quite a bit different than a Berg... In my youth, I played a stock V4 half-stack as my main rig and it sounded great (this was way before the internet came along and everyone could tell me it would sound like snot :rolleyes: ) At $175, not a bad deal, and you should be able to unload it easily enough if it's not your ticket.

ampeg_v4.

-robert

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I saw on H.C. that some were made with plywood & some were particle board.

4. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    i think you're looking at the guitar amp cab.. the V412 (T/B)..

the cheaper cabs have a plastic SLM jackplate with two 1/4" jacks.. most of those cabs are MDF.. although there are some that are plywood..

the MDF cabs were loaded with 50W Eminence-Ampeg designed speakers.. although the plywood cabs are loaded with Eminence "Modeling 12" 120W speakers..

the more expensive cabs were loaded with Celestions GT-75s and have a larger jackplate that is switchable between 4-8-16Ohms and mono-stereo.. all of these were plywood cabs..

IMG_0125-2.

if you reload the plywood cab with different drivers, they work just fine for bass..

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    That SLM cab was intended for use the with Lee Jackson heads (VL series), not the V4. The model numbers are similar (V4 vs V412) but people talking about "particle board" cabs would be referencing those, not the vintage V4 cabs which were discontinued in 1980 with the purchase of ampeg by MTI IIRC.

6. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    that is one of The best 4-12 guitar cabs ever made by anybody! if your back can handle it jump on it. every time i see one of those i think of steve morse. every time i saw him he had a double stack of V4's, and man the tone....it'd prolly be nice as a bass cab too, and even better with bass friendly 12's that are designed for use in a sealed box. a killer diller cabinet for sure, and built to withstand a nuclear holocaist