Ampeg V-4B 70's Good Choice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by until.tomorrow, Jan 16, 2004.

1. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    I’ve been thinking about going to an all tube bass amp and always had an Ampeg V-4B in mind (heard from reviews) but I have yet to actually play on one. My current set up is a GK-1001 into an Ampeg 410 HLF but I’m considering going to an Ampeg 610 soon for our tour. Some shows we play are in small bar/club (mic’ed) venues, open gyms (un-mic’ed), and others are small basement (un-mic’ed) venues.

I’m just curious if this amp would keep up with the rest of the band going through the 410 or even 610? Power rating vs the GK1001 (100 tube watts vs 700 s/s watts)?

Any other amp recommendations are welcomed.

2. I dig my V4B and used it un-mic'ed for years, but I had a huge efficient 1x18" sugar-scoop horn cab that stood 4' tall. With the cabs you mentioned, that 100 Watts might not be enough. It would definitely be enough if you had a big efficient 2x15 cab or something like that, and I mean old-school, as-big-a-as-a-refrigerator kinda big.

If you're going to keep your GK amp, then I'd say chance it and always take both just in case the V4B isn't loud enough. Otherwise I'd say find an old Peavey 2x15 with Black Widow's in it or an old Sunn 2x15 and then you'll definitely be loud enough.

3. If you don't mind some overdrive in your sound. I would crank it through a 4-12 and never look back.Pure Tube Midrange grind.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    One of my friends used to play frat parties and such with an old V4-B through an Ampeg 4x10, and it was money. He went unmiked, and had just enough volume. Anything bigger than the frat parties he played and I don't think the V4-B would've had the juice to cut it.
  5. Speak of the devil and he will appear!