ampeg V-4B cab wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoelEoM, Mar 12, 2002.

1. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i just picked up a 1973(i think) ampeg V-4B cab. too bad the matching head had been stolen and was missing the serial number, i might have the whole rig now...anyway...i want to know wattage on it, im running 200 watts into 4 ohms from my hartke right now, but i would like to upgrade in the future. i pulled the cab apart right after i got it, and all i found was that its loaded with 2 altec lansings(these are 15s) no wattage listed. ive already emailed both altec and ampeg, and no one knows anything about them, except that altec stopped making car/home/instrument audio components in, im out of luck. any help would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    In an unrelated topic and an unrelated column I am selling my 72 V4B amp.
  3. Give me the model numbers on the speakers. If they are 421A's, they are rated at 50 Watts RMS. You may think "50 Watts, that's nothing" but you need to realize that those are the best sounding bass speakers available, and they are like 100dB effiecient at 1W, so quit yer bellyachin'. :D

Seriously, that's all I use. 421A's are the best sound going. Don't blow them with some crappy megawatt solid state amp. :D The V4B is rated at 100W rms, which matches perfectly to the pair of 50W rated speakers.