1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg V-4B gigworthy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgrackle, Apr 20, 2018.

1. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Im really liking the tone and weight of the V-4B, but wondering if it would be loud enough to keep up with my 3 piece indie band and rock and roll / top 40s pop cover band with my Fearless F112 and / or F115. I’ve never had an all tube amp before, but I’m tired of carrying my SVT Pro4. Anyone rock there V-4B with just a 1 12 in a rock setting and lay down the authority?

2. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    I’ve been rocking the v4b with either a 212, 610 or 810. I’m in a 3pc band too...In every situation I’ve always had power to spare. I will say, larger the cab or cabs definitely makes the amp louder.

Ed Byrnes, Stumbo, SirMjac28 and 8 others like this.
  3. bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    I have an Ampeg 410he as well that I have thought about pairing with a second one if the F112 and F115 wasn’t loud enough.

Stumbo and jdubbass38 like this.
  4. I have the pf-50t and it does fine in a loud rock band going into an 810.. so I'd say that you're going to be fine, especially if you have the F112 on top of the F115.

Stumbo likes this.
  5. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    100% gig-worthy. I’ve played mine and backlined it for others paired with the matching SVT212 cab at places like Great American Music Hall, SF and New Parish, Oakland. We also play once a month at a dive bar in Oakland. Last time we played there, we were obnoxiously way too loud. My ears were in trouble.

I don’t understand why anyone would need to be any louder. Anywhere where you’d need to be louder would have full PA support anyway. I’m not trying to be daft. I truly don’t understand.

backin82, alesreaper9, dagrev and 8 others like this.
  6. bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010

I agree with you but we do play some outside gigs without PA support and thats where I could use my SVT 4Pro if I don't get enough headroom from the v-4B. But I'd really like to use the tubby goodness a often as possible.

7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    You're asking about going with one speaker and a 100w tube amp and not mentioning 1) room size 2) guitar player's amp 3) room size 4) maturity of the drummer and guitarist 5) room size 6) whether or not steak will be served 7) room size 8) whether or not the steak is free 9) room size 10) I want steak

Stumbo, kartiste, Scott Lynch and 8 others like this.
  8. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Well, that makes perfect sense. I guess it would depend on how loud you’d need to be for whatever size outdoor audience you’re playing for. I’ve done those food truck events with an Ampeg B100r and did just fine. Without PA support, I guess it would really depend on how loud the drummer is.

dan1952 likes this.
  9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I haven't played the Fearless cabs, but from what I have read they like a bit of power to get loud, so I think you are right to ask questions.

I believe these cabinets use Kappalite LF drivers. The 3012LF efficiency is listed as 95.5db and 3015LF efficiency is listed as 98.4db. Obviously that's a pretty significant advantage in efficiency to the F115.

Whether the F115 will be loud enough depends upon how loud your band plays, how clean you want your sound to be, and how well you want to hear. I would probably choose either a more powerful amp or a more efficient speaker rather than pair these two...YMMV.

rodl2005 likes this.
  10. bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    That’s exactailly what I was thinking. These cabs don’t break up and sound great. But that is because they are very power hungry. I know this head will be great in small bars and clubs. Luckily both my bands drummers play on the lighter side. But my guitar players in each like to be loud with there Mesa boogies and Orange 2x12s. I would love to able to get the punchy tone with just the F112 because of how easy it is to transport. One trip with the head and can. But I may not be so lucky.

11. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    Really? If it’s not loud enough you have other problems.

MDBass, backin82, Artman and 2 others like this.
  12. Absolutely. I play mine live all the time in a 3 piece Rock trio with a loud drummer. Usually through 2 of the 210AV cabs or 2 of the 112AVs.

Engle likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Until I lost 25 lbs, people thought of me as tubby goodness.

:D

It is very hard to predict whether an amp will work for someone else's music without actually hearing their band(s). All I can tell you is the V4B is not quiet and I can easily use one for everything I do.

Stumbo, alesreaper9, BOOG and 11 others like this.
  14. and that is about all anyone can tell to the OP question without interpolation to their own band experiences.

I think the guys cranking 100w into an 810 have a good advantage in the huge sensitivity, too bad it disperses tone so poorly.

The combined sensitivity of the feerless pair comes up somewhat less I think.

Borrow one first?

Stumbo, Wisebass and Korladis like this.
  15. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi bassgrackle :)

The V4B can get freakin' loud! (Loud enough for me :p)

But loud enough for me :D, is maybe not loud enough for you! :laugh:

And I don' t know what it does with your cabs....so :rolleyes:

Try it!

Problem solved!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  16. I use my v4b with a 5 piece indie folk band and the foh always tells me I'm too loud so it should work for you

17. What cab? How many in the audience? What size sticks is the drummer using? Rock kit or jazz kit or something in between? Overdriven or clean bass? Etc etc etc... refer JimmyM.

18. It really depends on how loud your band is, what kind of mix it is, and whether you like overdrive or not.

In one of my bands an Ampeg PF-50T is enough. In the other two it probably wouldn't be.

As to the "I can't imagine why anyone would need to be louder than me" posts, save it. Some people play loud music. And not everyone has the luxury of PA support for bass.

rodl2005 and Wisebass like this.
  19. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    New Jersey US
    I had a V4b (just sold it) and I used it through two Barefaced BB2's. It was plenty loud. I even used it for outside gigs. I used to turn the master volume all the way up, and control the overall volume with the gain knob. Excellent tone from that amp. I'll miss it.

Stumbo and Burwabit like this.
  20. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I saw Mahogany Rush back in the day. Frank Marino had a wall of Marshalls and the bass player was playing a single V4B through 4 8x10 cabs. Brain Damage loud.

Son of Wobble and AstroSonic like this.