1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg V-4B head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fat jonny, May 13, 2001.

1. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    Hi, I have been looking around at different kinds of bass heads for a while now because i am building a new rig. I need a new rig because i am starting a band and need an amp to leave at the drummers house and then i can just leave my current amp at home. I dont have a lot of money to spend so i was checking out the used market when i spotted the Ampeg V-4B. I read up on it a little and it sounds like what i have been looking for. I just have a few questions because some other threads i read about it didnt quite answer them. First, i read a lot of stuff about tubes, caps, and a bunch of other technical stuff i didnt really understand. I dont know a lot about tube amps so in general, will the V-4B (the vintage model from the 70's) be very reliable? Should i expect it to crap out on me every now and then and have to take it to a shop? Also, 100 watts is not a whole lot. I plan on using it with a drummer and an 80W guitar amp in a fairly small room. Will there be enough volume to cut through? I read that speaker effeciency makes a big difference in the volume that you get, so can anyone reccomend a good cab that would compliment this amp well? I was thinking of an old ampeg svt8x10 just to add to the vintage vibe. Do i need to get a smaller cab so that the cab will not be underpowered? Is there any cab or type of cab that i should really avaiod using in combination with this head? Is there anything else i should know (horror stories, general opinions, etc) before i get one of these? Thanks a lot!!

2. I agree with PBG. A V-4B should be plenty loud for your situation.

I use an Ampeg 410 HLN/F cab with mine and it seems to be a good match. Never tried an 8X10 cab.

The tone from my V-4B blows everything else I've ever played away.

3. there's is NOTHING like the tone of a V4-B! However, I can't agree with the volume thing. There's a good chance you'll need more power, I did with mine.