Ampeg V-4B (reissue) and 212 Cab.. Questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JakeyBran, Jan 29, 2017.

1. I'd like to venture into the world of tube amps. I'm currently running an SVT-3 Pro and a 410 pro cab. I like it, but I've been wanting to try a tube amp and see how I like it.

After watching some videos and reviews of the V-4B and the 112 and 212 cabs, I'm really digging the tone.

My questions:

-I play mainly at churches and small gigs, I don't really need/want a 300 watt tube monster, will the 100 watts provide me with enough clean headroom to compete with a couple guitarists, vocalists, drums, and keys? I'll have PA support.

- in the clean headroom equation, the wattage of the head is only a part I'm sure. Would cab choice also be a big variable? Would one of the 212 cabs be enough? Or would it be wise to invest in two and have a stack? Would my 410 be sufficient?

Any and all thoughts will be appreciated. Those of you running the V-4B, or the 112 or 212 cabs, how do you like them?

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I own a V4b and a 212av. If you are playing "mainly at churches and small gigs" then I can confidently reassure you that this combination should provide you with more then anough sufficient clean headroom.
    My only other suggestion is that you consider a pair of 210 avs as an alternative to the 212av. These cabs will provide you with extra versatility (lighter schlep/ one cab or two to suit the gig/ the opportunity to stack your cabs) and IMO have a special magic of presence and tone that really suits small to medium gigs.

GregC and JakeyBran like this.
  3. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    My V-4B with two 112AV cabs is my go to rig, and I play in an 8-piece rock band.
    So you will have more than enough with one 212 cab, IME.
    Volume wise the 410 pro cab will suffice too, I'm sure.
    (the V-4B is just tad wider than the pro cab)

JakeyBran likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022