1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg V-4B Tech Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by broadstone, Apr 2, 2006.

1. broadstone

broadstone

Feb 21, 2006
    Boone, NC
    Hope some of you that have more experience with the Ampeg V-4b can be some help.

I have posted on here before that I have a V-4b that had Coke spilled on it while I was playing it and it blew.

I have since replace all the tubes but now it still will not power on. Is there a step I can do before ordering the the powering transformer and/or output transformer from fliptops.com? I have a feeling these are blown as well.

2. Given the nature of your question and the amount of problems a spilled soft drink can cause in an amp ( the sugar carbonizes from the voltage and forms new electrical paths- it WILL be a NASTY job to fix) you should NOT attempt any more self repairs and take your amp to a professional. By the questions you're asking, for your own protection, you should NOT attempt repairs on your amp.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    +1.

It is one thing if you know what's up. A number of folks here are capable of their own in-depth repairs, most are not.

If you need to ask questions, it probably means you are, like most people, not qualified to fix it. This is not a put-down, it's a fact.

In a previous life, I worked as a tech for a few years while in school. I found that "attempts to repair" usually resulted in a higher repair cost to the customer than if they had kept their mitts off and brought it in to begin with. Sometimes quite a lot higher.

Then there is the issue of injury or worse due to the high voltages etc, etc. "No user serviceable parts inside" means what it says.