1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg V-4B Ultra-Lo switch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave M, May 5, 2006.

1. Anybody know where I could find a replacement for this? fliptops.com doesn't carry it. Seems like it's a pretty unusual multi-pole rocker switch.

I'd like to use the same thing to keep the panel unmolested, and the multiple hookups to it seem to dictate a direct replacement.
    Anybody got a spare lying around? Or maybe a dead amp that's a good donor unit? :D

OTOH, anybody ever open one up and repair or recondition one?:meh:

2. Try Ampeg service. Ampeg is having those switches manufactured for the SVT-VR. I'd imagine it's the same as in the V4B.

3. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    The ultra lo switch was pretty much the only thing on that amp I never used. I heard that the rocker switches were completely unavailable until they started making them for the VR like the previous poster mentioned. Ampeg is a good suggestion. I did have my V-4B worked on because it was humming. It was a major PITA but that may be due to the tech I chose to take it to. It sounded better after it was finished though.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Service is a good idea.

I am not 100% sure they are the *exact* same, although the outside appearance is pretty close.

But, I think you may have to wait a little longer, since I don't think the parts have percolated through to Service yet. It usually takes a little while after the first shipments.

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Hmmm.....a V4B with the ultra-low switch on. Can you say "Threshold of Farting"?

6. Externally, they look a lot like the same from the pictures I've seen. I hadn't thought of that. I'll try the Service folks and see.

I hope that'll work. I haven't had any luck so far.

Yes, yes I can. :D
    It's not so that I can engage the circuit, but so that I've got a relaiable switch regardless of position. I keep it off, myself, but the contacts are a bit dodgy. That bugs me. ;)

Thanks for the help so far. :bassist:

7. I thought I had a contact for some NOS or good used ones, but couldn't find it. If you can get the switch apart without destroying it, a pencil eraser will clean off what DeOxit won't. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

8. Thanks PBG. I have thought about the possibility of disassembling and cleaning the contact areas -- if possible. Not sure about its chances yet.