Ampeg V-4B users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Dec 1, 2016.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I've had this amp for a while, and I love it. I just saw a cool video from Ampeg about how the Mid Control effects the breakup and dirt available with this head.

How do you all set / use your Gain and Master volumes together? Do you put the Master on 11 and then adjust gain to the volume needed? Vice versa?

2. I have an original V4B and love it, so if I had a reissue, I reckon I'd dime the master.

Tbone76, vivaknoxvegas and 96tbird like this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Turning the master up all the way is the closest you can get to a non master amp. Some feel that this opens up the sound, less compressed. Cranking the gain and turning down the master is harder on the tubes. Nice to have the versatility to have it sound how you like. On amps with masters, I crank the master.

The V4BR is a very nice amp.

Tbone76, GregC and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  4. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Desert, Colorado
    Im on my second V4b after foolishly selling the first.

I like this setting best:
    Gain bass and master at 11:00
    Mids at 2:00 @800
    Treble to taste

Ed Byrnes, kranahan and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    I dime the master and adjust the gain for the volume I want.

P-oddz, vivaknoxvegas and High Camp like this.
  6. P-oddz

P-oddz

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I run master at roughly 3-4 o'clock and gain at noon.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I split the difference since the master's less sensitive to change than the gain. When I set it, I dime the master, but I set it a little louder than I need, then I back off the master till it's down to where I want it. And then if I need to change it during a gig, I'll bring the master back up. Doesn't sound like it's missing anything to me from having the master dimed.

Sartori and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  8. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I think I've found my bass amp. The tones available I'm hearing in the video demos is amazing and quite versatile.

I would love to put that thing atop a Fender 4x10 cab, but the Fender cabs are 23 inches wide and the Ampeg is 24 inches wide. It would look like a robot.

It will be... the Bassbot!

9. G On Bass

G On Bass Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Ventura County, CA
    I tend to run with the master full (or close to it) and adjust gain as needed. As I've mentioned in other posts, I often run an attenuator as well when needed so the tone stays the same at whatever volume I need. Next round of experiments is going to be with the -15 input to see how that affects things with my basses...

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Apologies for missing it, but what are you using for an attenuator?

11. G On Bass

G On Bass Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Ventura County, CA
    I was able to pick up one of these Dr. Z Airbrakes used: Dr. Z Amplification | Z Air Brake

When recording, we split a speaker level DI out of the v-4B, with 1 feed going to the Dr. Z then into the cabs, with the other going unattentuated into the board.

JimmyM likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sounds like an excellent plan for bass goodness!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022