Ampeg V-4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Intrepid, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I've been using this 100w RMS tube amp for a good two years now. I've been fairly disappointed with its sound for the last two years with my Ric. It's amazing I didn't play with the settings a lot sooner. If you ever look at the amp, there are switches on the top. They read something to the effect:
    Treble Hi On/off
    Mid 300hz/1000hz/3000hz
    Bass Lo On/Off

Well for some reason I decided I'm going to do everything backwards from what I usually do.

I usually put Treble Hi On, Bass Lo On, and mid at 300hz. I then boost highs and lows with the parametric eq and just do slight cut.

So the absolute backwards was Treble Hi Off, Bass Lo Off, Mid at 3000hz, and I boosted mostly mids instead of the other sprectrums even though I still had a good amount of treble and a mild bass boost. Before it sounded muddy and dead. Now it sounded brilliant, but very vintagy, growly, just nasty. I use stainless steel strings also. I usually dislike this sound, and go for the more modern sound, but with the band it sounded great. I finally got the cut that I wanted. The punch I wanted. My tone was awesome. Sometimes I wonder why I bought a Rick, but I was very happy. Just felt like sharing.

Moral of the story: Don't try to turn your bass into something it's not.
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The "bass lo" switch was your problem. I hate that switch and will never use it. It basically is a mid cut I guess. My settings are usually lo and hi switches off, treble flat, mid at 300 or 1000 with slight boost, bass cut or boost slightly for taste. Or of course you could just set everything flat and crank the volume to insane distortion levels which is my personal favorite setting. Somewhere between halfway and all the way. :D :bassist:
  3. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Superb, all I need to do now is get my V4 fixed and I'll be able to share the good vibes :D

A very valid point there though to exhaust all possibilities before posting the latest 'opinions on....' thread.
  4. Oooh, those bass and treble switches are really tricky since they basically suck out all your mids. I never push them since I like the middy growl of my Jazz. I cut the treble to 9 oclock and cut the bass slightly, while boosting the low-mid mids quite a bit. I like the sound, especially with the gain turned 3 quarters of the way up!