Ampeg V-4BH or SVT Classic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by russ wheeler, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Here's what I'm trying to decide.

I could get either head, the only deciding factor could be the user auto bias that the Classic has.

The nearest amp tech to me would be between a one hour drive to get someone who knows amps, or a four hour drive to go to an authorized service center. The only other factor would be weight, but not so much as the bias thing.

What is your opinion on this?

p.s., I really don't need the 300 watts, i just goof around at home, and maybe a few basement jams once in a while.

2. JonB

May 27, 2003
    It's really not too hard, and pretty safe to bias the V4 with a meter, such as Bias King. They cost about $100, and the instructions are clear. Once the power tubes burn in, they don't drift very much anyway.
  3. Thanks!

I'll search for the Bias King right now.
  4. In my opinion, don't worry about biasing a V4. There's no "magic number" that you should bias an amp to--just lots of opinions, with a wide range. The factory pre-set bias voltage will be in the middle of the range, maybe a touch conservative, so changing power tubes isn't really a cause to have it re-biased...IMHO.

Besides, even if you do decide to rebias the amp after a power tube changeout, it's not like you do that every day. Power tubes should last many, many years (contrary to some people's opinions). I have some power tubes that are still good after almost 40 years.