Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg V-9 / SVT head, mid-70s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgmadian, Apr 17, 2004.

1. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Anyone know anything about this head? I came across one that looks interesting, but I don't know much about it and can't seem to dig up its specs or additional info.

I know its 300 Watts and is pretty frikkin' heavy (around 90 lbs), but:

1. Is it mainly for bass, guitar, or both?
    2. Anyone using one?
    3. What tubes does it have? FYI...the ones in there now are apparently the original US tubes and are in good shape.
    4. How's it compare to an "original 70's SVT"...or is this actually one of 'em? I believe the V-9 only has a single input, whereas when people talk about "original 70s SVT" they're referring to ones with 2 inputs...no?
    5. Any idea how much one in good shape would go for?

Thanks...g

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, that's a good start. Any idea how the V9 differs from the SVT? I know it has reverb (unlike the SVT) but am unsure about other features and qualities it has / lacks relative to a "real" SVT. Basically, trying to get a better sense of whether it would make sense to pick up one of these for $600 or hold off till I can find a "real" SVT...

FYI...I've tried numerous searches but the TB search engine doesn't accept the term 'V9' by itself, and as soon as you use "Ampeg" it includes ANY threads with the word Ampeg in them (to a max count of 500)...even partitioning off the term "Ampeg V9" in quotes doesn't produce a thread like the one above. And Google doesn't work well on database-driven sites like TB...

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Dang! Missed that one too! That one pretty much sums it up... thanks for the head's up. I'm thinking I'm gonna pass on the V-9, both because I haven't convinced myself I wanna real SVT enough to stomach the ~90 lb weight, and I'll prolly prefer to get one that is un-ambiguously voiced for bass.

That said...I still don't get why these threads don't come up when I type in "Ampeg V-9" (with quotes) in the Search box.

4. It's an omen. It means you must pursue obtaining the SVT. At all costs!

5. That would be a HUGE mistake. I have three SVT's and a V9. Aside from the reverb rattling if it's not locked, not having the shock suspension sytem, and using different tubes in the preamp, there is virtually NO difference in sound between the two, at least through an old SVT 8x10. If another V9 came my way, I'd jump at the chance.

I'd also like to clarify/correct some of my comments in the other threads which were made before I had mine: the V9 IS a two channel amp. One input feeds the distortion channel and the other feeds the reverb. The distortion channel does not have a midrange boost. The reverb channel does. The distortion uses diode clipping circuitry to get overdrive, but by the time you turn it up enough to get useful volume, you could get the same sound by running the reverb/"clean" channel at the same level. There is a picture of mine here:

V9