Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg V-9 SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, Apr 6, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    hey i was wondering if any of you guys use this amp?

And where can i fnd out more information about it, or possibly get a owners manual?

i have already checked the ampeg site and the unofficial ampeg site and i know it was possibly made in 1975.

any help wuld be great thanks.

2. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    hahahaha! i saw that exact same one in the recycler. i think it's a guitar amp but it probably sounds okay on bass.

3. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    no, its definitely not a guitar amp. i use it for bass, its pretty much my drummers, but i claim it as mine. it also has a matching 8x10, with matching grooves for the amp to sit in.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Actually the V9 is a guitar amp...that's why it has a distortion circuit and reverb (the real give-away).

The Ampeg book says that it's voiced differently than the bass head...

What do you need to know(...it's pretty straight forward)?

5. Bona fide V-9s were guitar heads. They were designed to be paired with a 9x10 cabinet. Yes, 9 ten-inch speakers. They speakers were arranged in three V-shaped "rows" stacked on top of one another.

It's a rare cab to find.

Actual V-9 heads did have the distortion feature which really differintiates it to me.

BUT, some regular SVTs (for bass) utilize back panels that will say "V-9 SVT".

I believe this to be the result of the factory wanting to use one part for both models.

6. If you see an "SVT" with the "V9" designation on the rear panel, it is not necessarily a V-9.

For it to be a bona fide V-9 it must have the circuit and feature of the V-9 which at the very least (and most obvious) is the distortion knob.

On the other hand there are guys who think they have a V-9 SVT when in fact it is just an SVT (for bass).

All that being said, some guys use an actual V-9 as a bass amp with great results.

All the confusion is a result of the two model numbers being present on the same rear panel.

Hope that helps.

7. A V9 is a single channel amp; the SVT has two channels. It's the easiest way to tell them apart.

8. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    mine is the bass version.

it does say V-9 SVT on the back

it also has two channels, one wth distortion, and one with reverb

and not many guitar heads are 300-350 watts

9. Nope, if it's got distortion and reverb, it's a V9. The switches aren't different channels; they're just switches. It's a guitar amp, but Allen Woody used one and it sounded just fine. It was Ampeg's answer to the Fender 400Ps which has a bass and guitar channel along with distortion and reverb.

10. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    any chance you can post a picture of the v-9? is it as heavy as the svt?

11. It's essentially the same amp just voiced differently, same weight and external dimensions.

12. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    what do you mean by switches? there are no switches, just two channels. it hs a footswitch input jack, but no switches, you either play through one or the other, (or both via an A/B box)

sorry i cant find my camerea
    the front looks somthing like this
    __________|___________________|____|______ |
    I = input
    V = volume
    D istortion
    B ass
    M id Sweep
    --[a] mid frequency selection 300, 1000, 3000 Hz
    T reble
    -- is Ultra Hi switch - boosts the highs
    F ootswitch
    P ower
    L ight

Also it weighed in at about 84 pounds.

13. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    sorry about that, if you paste it into notebook, or word and use font courier new, it will look better

14. The switches are the mid frequency and ultra high located above the control panel. SVT's have four input jacks Ch 1, hi and lo and Ch 2, hi and lo.

15. I think this is a V-9. Like PBG stated, notice two inputs (not to be confused with two channels).

[​IMG]

16. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    yea that looks like it

im still confused as to why mine would say SVT if its not

17. They used the same chassis and exact same power section; only the preamp was different. Since the V9 was made in considerably smaller numbers than the SVT, most parts were labelled for both units and used as needed. One of my SVT's also says V9/SVT on the back.

18. Think of it this way: You have a V-9 variant of the SVT.

I say "a" variant because I'm not certain that it was "the only" variant (but I think it was as far as all tube designs went).

19. harleyyy

harleyyy

May 30, 2000
    This one arrives Wednesday.

[​IMG]

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    "and not many guitar heads are 300-350 watts"

Very nice Harleyyy.......you must be stoked! I know you've been looking for awhile :bassist: