1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg v4 4x12 bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Dec 3, 2006.

1. is the v4 4x12 a bass or guitar cab? or is there one of each?? how much would you think they go for on average?

2. I assume you mean vintage such as the '70s, right? If so the V4 cab in its stock configuration had CTS (early on) or Eminence speakers and was described by Ampeg to be for guitar.

Their was an option available to make them "bass" cabs. It called for a speaker upgrade to Altecs which also changed the cabs from 8 to 4 ohms. In 1973 this upgrade cost $110 (list) per speaker or $440 per cab. That's in addition to the regular price of $350. In other words just the Altec upgrade cost more than a complete "stock" V4! So, at $790 per cab (in the '70s) I wonder how many were actually sold?

I've seen qualified posters here state that the sealed nature of the V4 cab with the standard speakers would be safe for bass. Just don't forget that the "handling capacity" is around 100-120 watts.

3. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    My guitar player has one, and he leaves it at my house. I have been tempted to throw in some 12's, but I don't really know which ones. Any help on what would work, getting 4 ohms, for my SVT?

Thanks in advance, Dave

4. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    bumpy