Ampeg V4-B; clean vs. dirt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Nov 26, 2000.

1. I just bought an old 70's V4-B and was wondering (since technos seem to abound here); since it's got 2 channels, is there any chance of running 1 of them dirty, even at lower volumes, and one of them clean at higher volumes? Do the 2 channels use different preamp tubes? If not, what's the practical difference of the 2 channels?

Also, what do you think if I said I'd like to have an effect loop installed, and is this possible by a good tech?

I'm running this through a Bag End D-10 (2x10; 400 watts program, 800watts peak, 100 SPL). Whatdya think of my rig?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well, you can run one dirty and one clean but not at the same volume :)

The purpose of dual channels on older amps was so you could plug in multiple instruments. Back in the 60s, it was not uncommon to see two or more players (sometimes a whole band, including vocal mikes) plugged into the same amp. With a typical Fender amp, you had two channels and four input jacks, hey, why have more than one amp? :)

On some older amps, the two channels have slightly different EQ or other features (on guitar amps it was common to offer reverb and tremelo ONLY on one of the two channels). The Fender Bassman of the 70s is a good example: the "bass" channel has the "deep" low boost switch and no midrange EQ, the "normal" channel has the "bright" high boost switch and a midrange EQ.

Nowadays you seldom see amps like this, but those of us who use multiple basses (like myself, playing both URB and bass guitar on gigs) miss it.

Channel switching amps (to allow clean and dirty sounds in one amp) did not become common until the late 70s.