Ampeg V4-B reissue or boutique amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo Boogs, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Unless you want a specific thing that the Ampeg can't do, I don't see a reason for going boutique/custom.

I mean, yeah, a boutique builder could make you one, but unless you want something significantly different than a V-4B, I would just go with the off the shelf model.

Interceptor and Groove Doctor like this.
  2. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Why not consider original or the previous reissue that looks like an SVT classic a bit.

Wait that's less expensive. But more boutique.

You can get a boutique tube bass amp but not cheaper than ampeg, and what would you change?
    Matamp makes some boutiquish tube bass heads.

3. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I guess having an old tube amp can be like having an old outboard engine. You may have to learn how to fix it. I had a V4B back in the 70s, it was my first big amp, along with SVTs, and SBTs. I could never warm up to those EQ switches and many times felt compromised dialing in my tone. In general, they all worked very well and did hundreds of shows, all while getting the crap beat out of them. I could hear myself and they had balls. But, if you have not played through one of these, I suggest trying one out for a bit, before making a major investment. They have a distinct sound.
    I personally find the more modern amps to be less colored and easier to use. I switched to SWR in the 90s, then Genz Benz. Not to mention, a crap load easier to move around.

4. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Check out the Mesa Prodigy 4:88 if you're looking for a different flavor of tube amp. You can pick up a used one for the same price as a new V4-B. They're not for everyone but I love mine.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Ignoring for a minute that the V4B has dead flat response with knobs at noon (BGM page appears to be having issues but plots are in issue #16), you'd consider SWR to be a less colored amp? I guess if you're used to the mid-scoop they're less colored.

GregC and Sartori like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    SWR and Genz Benz are less colored? LOL! Scope a V4B with knobs at noon and ultra switches off and it's dead flat.

Sartori likes this.
  7. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    Just saying, I, personally, was never was comfortable with the eq setup of those ampegs. It has been 35 years but I remember the mid switch changing the tone with the knobs centered. I can be wrong. My vote is try it before you buy it.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    In every Ampeg I ever owned with the mid switch, including my 69 SVT which I still have and a 72 V4B which got burned up in a bar fire in 88 or 89, put the mid knob at noon and switch the switch knob around and it doesn't change the tone at all until I turn the knob one way or another. Maybe yours needed an adjustment?

TheRealKong and Sartori like this.
  9. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Haha, you're probably right. I didn't realize NEW was a hard and fast requirement here.

$2,000 for a V-4B still seems totally nuts though (speaking as a former V-4B owner). That's around what I paid in total for an MTI SVT, Mesa D-180, and '72 flatback. Both way nicer heads in my experience.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well the head's $1300, but Sweetwater has a refurb for $950, I just noticed. But I have a 69 SVT and I like the new V4B just as much. Mostly a matter of taste, I guess.

TC.65 and Sartori like this.
  11. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

V-4Bs don't cost $2000 new. Even without any haggling at GC they're $1299 new.

12. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I believe the OP is figuring in the cost of the 212.

High Camp likes this.
  13. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Exactly my experience too.

bobyoung53 and rodl2005 like this.
  14. I've heard of Seller's Remorse, and Buyer's Remorse.... but this sounds like Saver's Remorse !!!
    That's what I did. @peterpalmieri has both and can give you excellent advice.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  15. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Yes that's exactly what I'm figuring in. Head and AV212. How does the V4-B sound run thru two AV210's? Has anyone tried that? There's a mint set of two AV210s for 400OBO for sale around my neck of the woods. Curious if that would be a good option to consider?

16. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have a V4B and a pair of 210 avs as well as a 212 av. There was a discussion on their relative merits a while ago. Both great options, IIRC I felt the 212 was a bit louder than the pair of 210s and Tom Bowlus heard it the other way but we both agreed there was not much in it.

tombowlus likes this.
  17. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'd go with the 212 and just add another 212 as desired!

Mo Boogs, TC.65 and rodl2005 like this.
  18. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I'll second that.
    V4B-2CAB2.JPG stage4.jpg
    I have nothing to add, other than pictures of gear. :) And the fact that I love my V4B. I can't comment on boutique alternatives, but one or two 212AVs is a great pair. One is PLENTY for most bar gigs. Looks pretty nice too.
    Bucas full rig.JPG V4B-212AVb.JPG

lgrankin, GregC, Alexander and 3 others like this.
  19. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    I have a V4B Reissue and SVT212 cab and it is by far the best rig I've ever owned or played through. It is a loud and versatile amp, and works for any style of music. If you buy the amp and cab together Sweetwater may give you a decent discount. Never hurts to try.

20. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I could argue that once one gets into Ampeg tube heads that they have reached the point of diminishing returns.

Sartori and Groove Doctor like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021