Ampeg V4-B reissue or boutique amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo Boogs, Mar 13, 2017.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I think I know what you mean by that. You mean past the point of Ampeg and you get diminishing returns for your money? Yeah, I would buy into that :D

TheRealKong, Sartori, Tim1 and 2 others like this.
  2. The elevator stops at the top floor. You've reached to pinnacle of Bassdom.

High Camp and bobyoung53 like this.
  3. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Jimmy - that's exactly what I was trying to state.

TheRealKong, Sartori and JimmyM like this.
  4. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    That looks exactly like my rig - beautiful. And funny, that looks just like my storeroom too!

Hey, wait a minute, Burwabit... put my **** back where you found it!:D

5. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Finders keepers, sorry.

TheRealKong likes this.
  6. Here's another vote for a vintage V4B rig. I paid $500 for mine. I demo'd it at the guy's house where I bought it and it worked just fine but still I drove it straight to my tech's for $150 worth of insurance. Bought a 27" inch wide vintage Ampeg SVT-18E for $200 and there ya go. $850 for a killer rig. And some people think the vintage V4B sounds better and is louder than the re-ish.

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The vintage is designed to take 6550 tubes for 130W out. Loud does not recommend using 6550's in the reissue.

sjrash likes this.
  8. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    I just ordered a new V4B from GC at a decent discount. Should arrive in a few days. I was sold only after playing one in the store for 10 minutes. I hope it will place nice with my Barefaced BB2's.

TheRealKong, TC.65, High Camp and 2 others like this.
  9. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    That should make one AWESOME bass rig! Pics and review once you get it please?

10. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Another vote for the Ampeg. No need to buy new unless you just want a long warranty. What you save with a used or referb could fix a lot of things if necessary. I bought my V-4B reissue refurbished from Ampeg. Made them an offer and we went back and forth a little and I got a really good deal. Never doubted my buy and can't imagine selling it for something else. I like the AV 212, but I think I like my 212 EBS Proline a little better. Bigger sound and more even across the frequencies it seems. But I do like my Ampeg 212 and would buy one again. Bought that as a demo and I had myself another good buy!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    AlexanderB and Sartori like this.
  11. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    Will do.

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    If you bought it from the online/ebay shop "Ampeg_Direct" they're not actually associated with Ampeg/Loud, they're just a repair shop that sells refurbished stuff. See hodgy's comment from this thread:

dagrev likes this.
  13. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    Caught a sale and only paid $140 more than the used one I was looking at. With new, I have the option to return it if I don't like it, and I get a warranty. A bit of piece of mind.

14. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    I DID IT! Bought my V-4B and matching AV212 from Sweetwater today. Went with the demo model on the head and saved some good coin. Can't wait for it to shown up in a couple days!

15. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Congrats, Mo! It only took 5 different threads to convince you ;)
    (Just busting chops)

Sincerely, I hope you dig your purchase. You'll have to report back with your findings.

16. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    I know! Hahahah 5th times the charm I guess.

TheRealKong, GregC and P-oddz like this.
  17. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the head's up! Good info. I'd still buy from them again for the price I paid. (Much less than a used one and it's been running flawlessly for almost a year now.) However circuitously it had been contracted out by Ampeg (in hodgy's words), it made for a good buy for me. Certainly good info to know, and the wording at the site does seem a stretch given it's not at Ampeg getting refirbed.

18. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Congrats! You gonna be one happy bass player! Can't go wrong with Sweetwater either.

Crusher47 likes this.
  19. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    WOW!!! The Peg is PHENOMENAL! Nothing but tone for DAYSSSSSSS! Just what I was looking for. Thanks for all the input. Definitely realize what I was missing with solid state amps.

JulienP., G On Bass, GregC and 10 others like this.
  20. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Glad to hear this. I really can't say enough good things about this amp myself. With all the hype of newly releasing class D amps here on TB, this is still the best amp I've purchased in the last 5 years and I've been through most of the popular ones as they come out.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021