Ampeg V4-B reissue or boutique amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo Boogs, Mar 13, 2017.

1. dagrev

dagrev

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Yep. Once you take a trip on some good tubes, you're hooked and have to have them! And, don't want to get SS clean ever again.

Sartori likes this.
  2. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    None of my SS - hybrid amps ever is played clean. And I love my lead sleds.

But there sure is something about that V4b Ri that makes me pluggin it into my Tecamp L 215" more and more and more often....

But I have to admit that it was a Bugera BVV 3000 that gave me the first fix.... ;)

Sartori likes this.
  3. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    IMG_0029.JPG Here is my new V4B on top of my Barefaced BB2's. I'm blown away at the heft and tone of the sound it puts out with my Fender Jazz bass. I just need to get used to carrying a 40lb amp in stead of a 5lb amp.

BassBuzzRS, jdubbass38, TC.65 and 3 others like this.
  4. dagrev

dagrev

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Lookin' good! The fact that there's not much room for the feet on the amp to go left or right before sliding off makes me nervous. Maybe you can put something on the top cab to minimize the head from move too easily.

5. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Yeah I don't know as I'll need it but I'm definitely considering putting aside more gig money and getting a second 212AV at some point. For now I think just the 1 cab will cover 99.9999% of my gigs volume wise. The only outdoor gig my band plays I've used a Peavey Basic 112 50 watt combo and I've used a TNT 115 150 watt combo and those handled that fine, so I'm assuming the 'Peg will have no problem.

6. Anders Barfod

Anders Barfod

Jan 16, 2015
    Ni
    Nice rig.
    Tube amps for bass are heavy. To get the full 30Hz-20KHz range at 100W rms you need a very large output transformer. Considerably larger than the 70Hz-15kHz found in guitar amps.
    100 tube watts clean will easily give you 160W output with gobs of harmonic distortion and musical compression. Why tube amps are loud for their given wattage.

Was a bit surprised by the sound of my bassplayers bass through my 50W EL34 guitar tube amp powering an old 200W 8 ohm 15" Laney PA cab. Very musical..

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Dp1363 likes this.
  7. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    IMG_5899.JPG
    I use a rubber mesh shelf liner under the feet. Very grippy. Rock solid. I needed it with my 5lb Mesa D800 as the slick coating on the BB2 would have it dancing it all over the top of the cab without it.

Munjibunga likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ampeg's logic exactly!

JulienP. likes this.
  9. Anders Barfod

Anders Barfod

Jan 16, 2015
    A
    Agree.. I looked at the traynor yba300 which have 12 6L6 or El34 tubes. Its is much ligther at 51 lbs than a ampeg SVT300 at 80 lbs. The traynor saves some weight by using a torrodial power transformer but i think the output tranny in the traynor is a little bit undersized. Its specs are 120W with 30-20.000kHz freq band with no distortion. But at 300W output (12 x 6l6 tubes) the frequency band should be much more narrow when you are really pushing the amp. Not a problem with a 4 string bass tuned to E1 but the extra heft of a low B string should not be amplified and maybe even cause some OT smear or flub.

10. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    Does Mesa use the same methodology with their tube bass amps? I know that the Mesa Prodigy is only 20 lbs at 250 Watts.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yes. They use more power tubes and smaller transformers to keep weight down and to give them a different sound. Frequency response I can't attest to, but more tubes and smaller trannies has been Mesa's MO for bass amps for a long time.

12. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    I haven't had a chance to try a Mesa Prodigy, but I have to say my V4B has some serious balls, and killer tone.

High Camp, TC.65 and JimmyM like this.
  13. Anders Barfod

Anders Barfod

Jan 16, 2015
    Firstly it is 29 lbs (13.2kg) but that is lightweight.. From the picture of the transformers they look conventional and rather small for the wattage rating. Also 250W from a quad of KT88 seem extreme when other companies pushes them hard and get 200W from a quad.. But I think Mesa Boogie mentions it is 250W at 600Hz,, It would be interesting to scope the output of the Prodigy to see how much the bottom compresses and decrease.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For example ...

15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    BGM did a tech write up on the new boogies but the PDFs up on their website don't seem to want to load for me.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I know :D Was my go-to amp till I got the PF-50T.

17. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    Yea I am still trying to figure out how I'm going to like hauling it around. I went from a 5lb SS amp to the 40lb V4B. I'm in decent shape and this thing still feels heavy. Not sure how the 85lb SVT users are dealing with hauling that amp up and down steps.

GregC and JimmyM like this.
  18. freedomryder

freedomryder

Nov 21, 2012
    Seattle
    With help! :)

Anders Barfod likes this.
  19. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    You're lucky. I own the PA for the band so I have to haul my bass rig and the PA and mixer. I get no help.

20. Anders Barfod

Anders Barfod

Jan 16, 2015
    YOur bandmates sound like a bunch of SOBs ;-)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021