Ampeg V4-B reissue or boutique amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo Boogs, Mar 13, 2017.

1. punky

punky

May 26, 2007
    TeXas
    I absolutely love mine. Period. :)

Attached Files:

2. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    None of the noises you describe are normal. Mine is very quiet and my three year old tubes have a lot of miles on them. Sorry that I can't be any more help.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Crackling can occur when the tube socket contacts are loose. Tubes pins vary in size from one manufacturer to the next. A large sized pin can stretch out the contacts on the socket. When you then switch in a tube with smaller diameter pins, it can be loose in the socket. This can lead to crackling. It can go away sometimes as you mentioned. This can occur when the contact is marginal. When the pins and socket terminals are cold, the contact is worse. When hot, the metal expands and the contact is made. The same can occur with the structure of a faulty tube although this is rarer.

If the tubes feel solid as they are sliding in and out of the tube sockets, then chances are they are fine. If they feel somewhat loose, then the tube sockets need to be re-tensioned. A tech can safely do this. Basically the tube is removed and a needle or jewlers screwdrive is carefully used to bend the socket contacts together so that they have a tighter grasp on the tube pins.

There are other reasons why there can be crackling, one being bad solder joints.

With a relatively new amp, hum and hiss can be due to worn out tubes. There are some guidelines as to when tubes should be changed here in the TB Portaflex Wiki:

Tubes | TalkBass.com

Groove Doctor likes this.
  4. leemurray

leemurray

Oct 4, 2008
    Thanks guys good info. This helps confirm expectations that it should be quieter. I figured new tubes would be an easy thing to try, but since I can still return it, I think I will do that and let them deal with it this time.

5. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Sorry for the delayed response. I love Monique and the M2500 (not 700). I also love my V4b. Thursday night the V4b is going out with my '69 810. They're both great amps but different flavors.

I am fortunate to not have to chose one over the other permenantly.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  6. freshbass

freshbass

Jul 17, 2004
    vermont
    hello from southern vt. I just ordered my ampeg V4-B and svt 212 av cab. Having played thru all sorts of amps during my near 50 yrs at the bottom I finally had to have the real deal. IMO boutique amps AND basses are an over-priced risk that never brings good return when it doesn't work out. Want real? Buy real. It's the well documented sound we all love. Good luck to you.

grouse789 likes this.
  7. And you'll always be able to sell a well known amp, rather than a 'boutique ' or kit type amp far more easily.
    I've seen many kit etc amps sell for very very cheap, because ppl don't know em.
    Ppl will sure know of the V4B

punchclock likes this.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    In general, boutique amps do not have regulatory agency safety certification. Some do but not many. You don’t have any way of knowing if a boutique amp is built to current standards and requirements. No kit amps have certification.

If there is a fire caused by the amp, the insurance company will not pay. The word of the builder is not good enough. So there is a risk associated with these products.

punchclock likes this.
  9. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Man you’re gonna love that V4-B. I can’t get enough of mine. 2-1/2 years goin strong. Love it.

10. freshbass

freshbass

Jul 17, 2004
    vermont
    Part2: It arrived. I played thru it. I took it back. The sound was ALL there. Great rig.I prefer 15's but the cab was a good match. Just not enuf clean hdrm for me so at 63 yrs old. I am now contemplating a more powerful all tube head. Can I still lift an SVT amp? Oh boy.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021