Ampeg V4-b (RI) question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CF333, May 27, 2020.

1. CF333

CF333

Feb 12, 2020
    Arizona
    hey all!

I’ve been gigging with my beloved reissue V4b for about 6 months now. My band has a day booked in the studio this week and I’ve decided to track this next single with just the balanced out feature on the head. My question is, does the head have to be connected to the cab for power distribution or can I bring just the head and no cab? And help is highly appreciated! Also: the V4b di is ONLY pre amp. It does NOT feed any signal from the power amp as well. Thanks!!

2. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    To keep from damaging the amp, it’ll need to be connected to a cab. You’ll never want to run the V-4B without a load.

3. Always have a load(cab) connected to a tube amp. Unless, in the rare cases, it's like the PF50T, PF20T Ampeg tube amps and has an option to run without a load

4. CF333

CF333

Feb 12, 2020
    Arizona
    Thank you so much!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    PRO TIP:

While the V4B's preamp-only XLR out sounds terrific, it'll sound even better to run a DI that accepts speaker level input between your speaker out and cab. This way, the V4B "takes over" the DI and runs the entire amp into the board, including the power tubes and output transformer. Doesn't have to be an expensive DI, either. Any DI that accepts speaker level from an amp will do, and any studio worth a crap should have a DI or 5 that can run speaker level.

NOTE: You still have to have a speaker load hooked up after the DI. The DI doesn't take the place of a speaker load. You should be micing the cab at the same time anyway :D

6. CF333

CF333

Feb 12, 2020
    Arizona

Thanks so much man!! This is great advice. Much appreciated

JimmyM likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021