1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg V4 cabinet grill does not fit B40 cab. Wassup with that?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris 'Wighat' Jordan, Mar 25, 2017.

1. I have a B40 cab I'm restoring. It does not have a grill. I just bought a V4 grill here:

Vintage Style Ampeg V4 Grill 25 5/8 X 27 5/8 | eBay

Since I have taken it as gospel that the two cabs are identical except for one has 10" and one has 12" holes in the baffle, I didn't bother to measure my cab before I bid. The V4 grill is slightly too long on one dimension and about an inch short on the other.

Would someone please measure their V4 and/or B40 grill so I can get to the bottom of this?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Perhaps measure once should be your axiom! :)

coreyfyfe likes this.
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    They are not. I had a V4 4x12 cover that I used on my B40, was smaller by a few inches as the cover was quite floppy.

I no longer have my B40 cabs, but I believe there are dimensions in the ampeg product procures in the portaflex wiki. If you're considering ordering from fliptops, talk to Bruce and see if he has the measurements on hand. I know I ordered one for my first B40 from him, and the second B40 I had also had a fliptops replacement, so I know he's made a few.

Stumbo and Chris 'Wighat' Jordan like this.
  4. I looked, didn't see any B40 info. It was produced 1975-80 and there isn't an Ampeg catalog in there from that era.