ampeg V4 closet find

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheMaynorD, Jun 11, 2021.

1. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Hey talkbass
    Thought yall might get a kick out of his

My old band had this ampeg V4 cab lying around as the band cab, and my old guitarist used it with a fender bassman as a guitar rig which was pretty massive sounding.
    My schroeder cab blew the 15" speaker and ive been in the market for a new and bigger cab since we are playing decent sized stages with my new band and even just using the cab as stage volume and lining out to house, i need a bigger cab to reach myself and the band from the backlines.

Thought I would try the ampeg V4 since it was sitting unused in our storage space. Holy guacamole.

My rig is the Arkham Oracle into a straight ahead power amp and man that thing can move air. The warwick thumb 6 just ripped through the mix and shook the floor.

I need to replace the casters on it, and I've contemplated re tolexing it as well. May also rewire the out from a 1/4" to a speak on.

Any suggestions? They seem to have a following as great versatile cabs if you are a powerlifter or have a team of roadies. 0611210847_HDR.jpg

CTBassGuy and tindrum like this.
  2. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Folks around here have differing opinions about the V4 cabs for bass, but I have one and it’s my favorite sounding cab.

Biggest thing with these is that they can only handle about 100w or so, as the stock CTS speakers just were not that robust. There was an option for Altecs, which were terrific IMO, but again, you had to be careful not to push them too hard. Check yours to see if it has the Altecs; if so, it’s a keeper just as it is.

I retrofitted my V4 with 4 Eminence Basslite S2012s and it’s great with my V4B RI amp. It also drops the weight to about 65 lbs, so it’s easier to move. (NCD post here: NCD!! I stood on the shoulders of giants and found my sound (Ampeg V4 4x12))
    IMG_2442small.JPG

anderbass and TheMaynorD like this.
  3. DW1969

DW1969

Feb 24, 2008
    Great cab, have one my self. BB236501-CDBF-4A3B-A66B-6C3280D64A5C.jpeg

TheMaynorD likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021