1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg V4, early vs late 70's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sdritchey, Aug 17, 2007.

1. sdritchey

sdritchey

Aug 17, 2007
    hi,

i am going to buy an ampeg v4 for bass use... i have heard that the early 70's V4's are better than the late 70's with the master volume... is this true? and if so, why?

thanks,
    steve

2. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Well, there are different versions of the V-4. You would want to find a V-4B which is for bass. They made a version that had reverb and such and was marketed towards guitar players more.

3. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    pretty sure the v4 can be used for bass just as much as guitar. I love my early 70's v4...

4. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    V4s are pretty much the same as V4-Bs, except they have reverb. I like my V4-B quite a bit for small shows, but the thing weighs more than it has any right to.

5. J.P.

J.P.

Aug 9, 2006
    I have an early '70's v4 that I use for bass. Absolutely love it!! Never played through a v4-b, but everything I've read says there's not much difference.

Yea, it's heavy, but so what. It sounds good.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I played a small room last night with one pushing a single JBL 15. Sounded GREAT! Fat and warm with an edge of menace.