1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg V4 Reverb On/Off and others....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bluehevy75, Oct 3, 2013.

1. bluehevy75

bluehevy75

Dec 1, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Two questions:

1. Have an old Ampeg V4 head. I can only turn the reverb off if I have the switch in. Is that right? I'd like to be able to turn it off and take the switch out and have the reverb stay off but it won't....

and related (kind of)

2. My band has a fake Rhodes (Kustom 88). The sustain off/on will only work with an on/off switch like the one I use for the reverb on the v4 head (Ampeg AFP-1 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-afp1-single-footswitch).

When we try using a "regular" sustain pedal (like this: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/SP2.html) the sustain won't turn off. How can we get a normal sustain pedal to work?

Thanks for help on either or both of these problems.

--K

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    1. Turn the reverb knob to zero. What you're describing is 100% normal for these amps, the footswitch in fact does not "activate" the reverb, it de-activates it by shorting the reverb signal to ground. If for some reason turning the reverb knob to zero doesn't turn the reverb completely off (it should), then you could either unplug the reverb tank entirely or make a shorting plug to leave in the reverb footswitch jack.

2. I don't know for sure, but you tube video demo of a Kustom 88 shows the "sustain" being deactivated by shorting out the cable connected to the sustain jack. Guy in the video says you need a "normally closed" sustain pedal "...like those used on Yamaha pianos."

3. bluehevy75

bluehevy75

Dec 1, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the help with the help with the Ampeg that settles my mind.

That is helpful info about the piano. The pedal we are using has a switch to be always on or always off but we couldn't get it to work on either setting. We've tried the pedals in other applications and it worked. We cannot figure why it won't work on the Kustom. It is just a simple switch right? It shouldn't require anything fancy?