Ampeg V4/V4B owners - what cabs are you using?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by N*Joy, Jun 12, 2005.

1. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    My V4 is currently in the shop getting a new output transformer fitted and a general overhaul, however I don't have a cab to plug it into (I use a Mackie SRM450 as my main rig).

What do you all use?
    Any comments on the following would be much appreciated:

- volume/sensitivity: can it keep up in a rock situation?
    - sealed/ported: noticeable difference?
    - Speaker sizes: best for that Ampeg rock sound

Suggestions on cabs to try out would be much appreciated, any 'good matches' etc that must be done.

BTW I'm in the UK so Bergantino NV is out!

2. the ones that have worked for me are:
    marshall VBC412
    SWR 6x10"
    ampeg 8x10"
    and the best...
    orange 2x15" folded horn+laney 4x12"guitarcab for some serious vintage violence!

i really think it works best with bigger cabs/and speakers (12´s and 15´s) but i have read that some people uses them with hi-fi cabs like berg. and ebs with great results(2x10+1x15 or 1x10+1x12)

as you can use it down to 2 ohms, you could for ex. have 3 or 4 tiny cabs...
  3. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    I use my V4 with a recent Ampeg 8x10 and it's a fantastic pair. I also use it at home with an Avatar 2x12. Not too shabby either.
  4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Ampeg BT-140 cab
    Ampeg B25B
    Sun 200S
    Cerwin Vega 18" reverse Horn
    Homebrew Cab with 2x15" EVL's
    Acouistic 370

liked them all for what they were. The 200S & BT-140 were my fav's.

Bestr of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Awww I was going to suggest NV! Well in my single sealed vs ported cab experience with this head (berg HT cabs vs NV) the sound was equally good but cone control was lost with the ported cabs when the amp is really overdriven. Not everyone turns the amp up all the way though. :D
  6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Strange idea, but Jim seems like a very stand-up guy, with an excellent product, so I wonder if he'd sell you some of the raw drivers he uses, which you could put into a suitably sized cab at this end? Worth asking if you want that New Vintage sound but are loath to ship a cab that big across the pond.

7. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Many thanks for the suggestions.

metron - that's useful as I can see myself turning it up and overdriving every now and again :D

Not sure that I would/could go to the trouble of re-producing a cab DIY but a valid suggestion (I could always get someone else to do it ;) :D )
  8. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I'd love to hear a V4 with a Henry 8x8; anyone ever tried that combo?

9. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Yeah I can see that happening on a ported cab. I gotta say though, the overdrive I get from pushing it hard through a wall of sealed 10s is unbelievable. For reference, think "Mississippi Queen" by Mountain. (I've never taken it past 1 o'clock on the volume dial.)
  10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    well yeah by turning it up all the way i mean about 1:00 on the volume dial. :D the distortion through my sealed 610 is definitely insane. in all fairness to the ported cabs the tone was pretty much the same but there seems to be more control over the distorted tone with the sealed cab. dont disclude ported cabs in your search though. also, the tweeters in my ported cabs put out some very nice tones with the amp in the clean zone but the distorted sound is definitely best without them.
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

When I was working on Metron's V4B I mostly ran it through my Schroeder 1210. I loved the distorted sound with the tweeter pad at 12 o'clock. The Schroeder stood up to the big excursion demands quite well too. Another nice sounding match was my E-V 15 ported cab, which features a whizzer cone. That cab gets scary when you pump a lot of ultra-low signal through it though, the driver's really dancing.

Still, the other bass player in one of my old bands had the matching Ampeg 2-15 (sealed?) cab, loaded with JBLs. That was a perfect combination, I'd say. Plenty loud for classic rawk.