Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg V4 -vs- Ampeg V4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Hello,

How effective is the V4 head for bass? I've only played through a V4B so I don't have much of an idea...

I'm thinking the reverb could be neat-o - does it work OK for bass or best left alone?

Also, the V4B has the ultr-low switch where the V4 doesn't - how much of a difference does this make at stage volumes?

Anyone got one cheap for sale? :D

neil.

2. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Do you mean the current model or the vintge one ?

Look in the archives under big tube amps or current production tube amps or something like that.Psycho Bass Guy,a tech who's into the older amps says the V4 and the V4B are equally useful for bass.I think he meant the vintage ones,however.

3. The V4 could easily be converted to the V4B with just a few cheap component changes, and I never use my Ultra Lo switch.

Chris

4. Yeah - i've heard it's a simple pre-amp cap change? Has anyone tried the reverb tank with a bass?

How about comments regarding Master Vol. -vs- no Master Vol.?

The reason i'm asking all these silly questions is that i'd like to get one (sooner/later, after I pay off the upcoming wedding...), but since the only way I can really get one is (probably) via eBay in US $ (double it and a bit to get NZ funny-munny :D ), and have it shipped over "sound unheard"...I just want to have all my facts straight so I get the right tool for the job!

thanks!

5. Get One! It is the same amp, with a little different tone circuts. I use mine with the bass on about 11 and don't need any more. I believe the ultra deep switch is just a 40hz boost. This amp had a cap job, (Thanks Psycho), and it sounde killer. I use a Sovtek 12AX7WA/7025 in it. Other high gain tubes were too much , and it has numbing bass. I can't turn it up more than 10 oclock.Maybe a master volume added would help. I don't use the reverb, but I guess you could if you like it. Mine likes a 1-15 Black Widow in a Musicman cab.

6. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I use an old 1971 V-4 that has no modifications on it other than being biased for 6L6GC power tubes. I hook it up to 1x15 and 2x10 cabinets, and it works wonderfully. The reverb tends to be pretty weak at bass frequencies, so I just keep it off. It produces great tone through these cabs and I have to say that the 100 watt rating on these beasts must be VERY conservative. It's capable of absolutely painful sound levels.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually it cuts out lower mids (around 200 Hz) which makes the bass seem more prominent.

Spring reverbs sound awful for bass.

8. Actually, done well, spring reverb can sound quite something...check out Spy's album "Music to Mauzner By" - there's a track on it (can't remember the name!) that is Rickenbacker via spring reverb - kinda nasty but kinda lush at the same time!

I like the idea of reverb for the dubbier side of my playing (I use a Korg dynamic echo at the moment)...

Sounds like the Ultra-Low is pretty pointless! :)

Thanks for everyone's input!

9. I don't know if this is legal, or in good taste on Talkbass forums.... but I've got a V4-B for sale on eBay right now.....!!

If I have violated the rules, I am sorry and the Moderator may beat me with an instrument cable about the back and thighs....

it's making me cry to have to get rid of it.