1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg V4 -vs- Ampeg VT-22

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Mar 15, 2001.

1. (talkin' about heads, not combos)

Does anybody know the differences between the 2 amps?

Also, what are the real differences between the V4 and V4B (apart from the ultra-low switch and the reverb)? Is it just the preamp voicing or are there other *noticable* differences?

Thanks!

2. Dunno.

A few capacitors and resistors changed in the signal path. I think that's it.

Chris

3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I have a '71 V-4 head, and it's labelled BOTH VT-22 and V-4 on the back panel. I think the only difference is that the VT-22 was the combo version with two 12 inch speakers. Although mine isn't the V-4B, it works great as a bass head with 1x15 and 2x10 cabs. I just keep the reverb off, and it rattles the walls. Unless I'm mistaken, the tubes used in the preamp and power amp sections for both the V-4 and V-4B are the same. Probably just a few minor differences in pots, resistors, and caps distinguish the two. My overall view of the V-4 is that's heavy, bulky, powerful, and sounds like thunder. I don't enjoy moving the beast around, but I sure like the tone and the volume. Rated at 100 watts, it sounds a LOT bigger.

4. So the V4 isn't too trebly and gives a good bass thump?
    I've only played through a V4/V4B (dunno which it was) once many moons ago.
    I just wanna make sure I get the right head for the job (considering i'll have to buy one in the US sight/sound unseen and figure out how to ship it here).
    Does anyone have a V4 cheap(ish) for sale? :D (a bit of a call, I know!)

5. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    nil -

No, the V-4 isn't too trebly. It'll give you enough bass thump to rattle the fillings in your teeth. Using a bass head with guitar cabs (ala Fender Bassman) or guitar heads with bass cabs (Fender Showman as well as the V-4) used to be common 'back in the day.' You don't see it that much any more, but it works well. Just don't plug your bass into a guitar combo. The speakers aren't made to handle the lower frequencies and the voice coils could give out.

6. Yeah, i've found that from past bad experience! :D Funny when the coil gets stuck!

I'm running a local copy of a Bassman 50 into an Ampeg quad, so at the moment i'm not *really* running a trad bass rig. I had just read somewhere that the V4 had a real treble ring (which I love, brings the character of my Ric to life), just wanted to be sure it wasn't at the expense of low-end.

thanks!
    neil.