Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg v4 vs. b2r

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grindmore, Dec 5, 2002.

1. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    so i have a b2r running through a sunn 4x10. i have decent volume but i want better tone and more volume wouldn't hurt either. i love the v4 tone and have been told that the volume is quite surprising. would the 100watt all tube v4 running at 8ohms be louder than the 200watt solid state b2r at 8ohms? i play loud rock/noise and have to compete against a peavey 5150, a marshall jcm 800 and the loudest drummer in brooklyn. with the b2r and the sunn i am defientley loud enough. any input would rock.

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    You should try running an additional 8ohm cab with your B2R.
    You'll get more volume and a much better tone.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had a V4B & I have a 4 ohm SVT4HLF. I played it in my garage only. I was afraid to bring it to a gig cause it didn't sound loud enough.

I Agree with Tim only if the Sunn cab is 8 ohms. If you get another 8 ohm cab, you would bring the load down to 4 ohms & you would be running the full power of the B2R.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Grindmore : the V-4B head gives a very different tone than the B-2R. I don't think you can plan to substitute each other. The B-2R is more appropriate to modern tones, while the V-4B is definitely a vintage piece.

If you love the B-2R tone, keep the B-2R. Just add a 8 ohm cab. A 1x15" or 1x18" would be a nice complement to your 4x10", IMO.

The other solution is to change your cab for a 4 ohm one. The SVT-410HLF is a very nice cab, able to handle anything proudly and efficiently, including low-B.

5. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    no, i dont like the b2r tone. i like the v4 tone. i hate modern tone. i have enough volume with the b2r but the tone sucks. i am wondering that if i go with the v4 for tone reasons, would i be sacrificing alot of volume?

6. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Let's have a look.

You currently have a B-2R switched on 8 ohms, thus delivering 200 W RMS.

A V-4B switched on 8 ohms delivers 100 W RMS.

But many people here know that all-tube Ampeg's, at similar RMS wattage, are much louder than Mosfet / solid state ones.

I believe you won't lose much volume if you replace your B-2R with a V-4B... Just be informed that a V-4B always delivers 100 W, either on 4 or 8 ohms (no other impedance possible).

Finally, do what you want, but for my opinion I wouldn't sacrifice the tone for a few dB... and so I'd go V-4B in a heartbeat.

Just my very personal opinion, of course.

Hope this helps,

7. The V4-B will do 2 ohms as well as 4 and 8 ohms. 100 Watts into each, and make sure you set the switch right!

I'd go for the V4B over a solid state amp anyday. In fact, I went for a V4B back in like 1988 and I still have it. :D

[​IMG]

Chris

8. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
  9. I didn't think we were talking about the new one....

Here's the schematic for the original V-4B poweramp, which is what I thought we were talking about, and is 2 ohm rated:

[​IMG]

Chris

10. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i have the new v4b (v4bh)...is there any difference at all???? if there isnt, i would deffinitly go with the v4b. i couldnt ask for a better tone. i have no problem when i jam with other bands. it keeps my tonal range and volume just where i like it. i mostly play classic rock...not much modern stuff if that really matters.

11. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ok. So apparently, while reissueing the V-4B, Ampeg/Crate added a D.I. output while withdrawing the 2 ohm ability. It's a bit curious, but there are probably strategic reasons.

For the comparison between old and new Ampegs, well I had a vintage SVT years ago (and I let it go as a complete idiot), and more recently had a SVT-CL in hands for a few days. Sure there is a tonal difference. It's hard to say "better" or not. Just different, even if, in both cases, you plug your instrument and immediately know you are plugged on an all-tube Ampeg. For what I heard, the SVT-CL just seems to me a bit "cleaner" than the vintage SVT. So maybe the slight lack of natural drive makes the SVT-CL tone a bit less "vintage". Also the SVT-CL I tried was all new, while the tubes of my vintage SVT were used. So it does not make the comparison easy...

Hope this helps,

12. I've got the old V4 (the full-fledged version with reverb) and it does indeed run 2, 4, or 8 ohms. The difference is a little extra cost to have the output transformer wound with the additional tap, so this is purely a cost down matter when they re-issued the amp. The DI has nothing to do with the output transformer in this circuit. In fact the 1/4 inch output on the old circuit could be converted to an XLR if you wanted to, but I see no need.

13. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    i am talking about the old v4. i recently spoke with some who had a cooling fan installed on the tubes and his volume increased significantly. anybody know anything about that?

14. It's possible he had old tubes that were losing their oomph when they were heating up. My tubes are mismatched and ancient and I still get 100 watts RMS, without a cooling fan, measured on my oscilloscope:)

15. The fan probably didn't make his volume go up. If it did, then the tubes he has are shot and need to be replaced.

Cooling off your tubes helps them live longer, but doesn't increase their gain (unless possibly they are gassy as hell or screwed up in some other way).

Chris

16. I really can't say about volume but, I think you will find the tone of the v4 more satisfying.

17. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i dont know if i should start a thread about this or not. but i was wondering, would installing a cooling fan into my v4bh head be beneficial enough to my tubes that they would last much longer??? or wouldnt it make that much of a difference to do it???

18. Any time you keep your tubes cooler, they last longer. It wouldn't hurt to install a 4" 120V muffin fan so that it blows on your power tubes and power transformer, but it's not really necessary. They'll probably last for years without it anyway.

Chris

19. i find iget plenty of volume through my B2R and my eden 112, and when i add my ampeg 115, i get a meaty tone & volume!

*Si*