Ampeg V4b 2x15 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BobbyXIII, Jul 25, 2013.

1. BobbyXIII

BobbyXIII

Dec 11, 2011
    I have the chance to buy a V4b cab for $150 it's in decent shape and I have a v4b head already. Is $150 too much for this cab or is it worth it?

2. Go play it. Does it sound like a good deal for $150? I would check to see if the speakers are original, or what they have been replaced with.

3. BobbyXIII

BobbyXIII

Dec 11, 2011
    Yeah I haven't played it yet the dude says it still has the Altec speakers in it I believe. I just don't want to over pay because I will probably put another $100 into for cosmetics making it $250 but I don't want to find out I can get a perfect one for about the same if I wait.

4. IMHO $150-250 is a pretty low investment cost in terms of bass cabs. I would find out if the cab suits you tonally first, before I worried about trying to get one in the cosmetic shape you want.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    If it is the 2x15 horn loaded cabinet with the original altecs then heck yah its worth the money.
    the horn loaded cabinet is obvious much deeper than standard cabs around 17 or so inches deep

If the altecs are tired or worn out they are worth the recone.

Likewise if it is the horn loaded cabinet, its what ampeg designed to use with the V4B and will stretch the 130 watts from that head as far is it can go.

Horn loaded cabinets can add 3 to 6dB more sensitivity than what a standard 2x15 could do. pretty much like doubling or triple the power of the amp, by making the speaker more efficient

likewise searching the bay for a pair of JBL k140's or E140's would make that thing loud as #### specially with the E-140's

could even sell the altec baskets to fund other speakers, but why the Altecs were upgrade speakers of the time.

6. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
    If the original speakers are in there and they are broken... KEEP THEM AND RECONE (if possible). This would help with the resale value. And you probably DO NOT WANT A RETOLEX. Because you should get a new(er) cab instead.

That cabinet will go over a 1000 dollar in under 10 years. By then lots of these cabinets will be gone... And the ones left will go UP AND UP...

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    ^ sssshhhhhhh

8. jwsmith1776

jwsmith1776

Mar 25, 2011
    Oxford, MS
    toooooooooooootally worth it!

9. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    What Altec's came in those originally?

10. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

If memory serves, and I make no absolute claim to being 100% accurate, the Altec model number may have been 421A. That could be way wrong.

11. BobbyXIII

BobbyXIII

Dec 11, 2011
    Well I know the seller did a retolex job on it. Not a very good job I might add. I think I can fix it though and make it nicer I have some experience now with that. He put all the badges and hardware back on to it though so it's all there. Just out of curiosity though why is a retolex a bad idea on a cab like this?

12. Altec 421A speakers - the best sounding bass speakers ever made, in my opinion. I play through (1) in a Peavey box for my main gig rig.

I've got a V4B cab because I always wanted one to go with my V4B head, and it sounds really cool, but man, it is heavy as lead - 187 pounds I think. I moved it once for a jam, and I've never moved it again. Just hanging onto it now for some reason.

$150 is a deal if the Altecs are good. I paid $150 for my cab with no speakers in it. I already had (2) 421As to put in it.

Chris

13. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    I was curious because I was given some old Altec PA cabs that have 421A's in them.

14. 421As actually say "Bass Musical Instrument Speaker" on the label, which is pretty dang cool. They did use them in some PA speaker setups, too.

Chris

15. BobbyXIII

BobbyXIII

Dec 11, 2011
    So I pulled the trigger on buying it and threw my V4b on it and... Wow amazing sounding cab an it had the original speakers the Altec Lansing 421a's all perfect and original ImageUploadedByTalkBass1374814964.407668.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1374814981.409573.jpg

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    One of those horn cabs, eh? Nice!

17. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    This was my main gigging cab back in the day. First with a V4b head then with an SVT.
    On the road, 5 - 7 nights a week non-stop for 7 years. No roadies.
    I always got compliments for my tone; not so much for my playing. LOL

18. BobbyXIII

BobbyXIII

Dec 11, 2011
    Yeah the tone is great on this thing it's a pretty amazing cab. I'm glad I pulled the trigger on it. Also is it a horn cab? It only has the 2 15" speakers in it.

19. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    It's a horn cab by design...also referred to as a folded horn.

Similar to the old acoustic 301. These were popular back in the day because they could rattle a room without PA support and didn't require megawatts to do it.

When I first started playing bass ('70?)I bought a pair of 421As and transferred them from amp to amp - first a fender bassman, then a kustom 200, then a pair of homemade cabs that were essentially a sunn 2000S cab cut in half. The only speaker that was arguably better at that time was a JBL D140.

20. BobbyXIII

BobbyXIII

Dec 11, 2011
    Yeah so far these speakers have really impressed me. I'm loving them. Oh got ya I thought like he was talking about a speaker horn was in there or something like the isovent which I also have for sale on TB too... (Shameless self promotion)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021